Stainless steel angle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard S

Established Member
Reaction score
Boy am I now glad we have a metal working board!!!

I need to build a shower seat to fit betwwen two walls and thought the best option would be a slatted iroko seat supported at each end on some stainless angle, I need 2 pieces of 3mm, 250 x 40 x 40, I have been quoted £50 inc polishing but this seems expensive to me.

Am I being unrealistic? I'm a bit out of my depth when it comes to metal, can stainless be drilled with normal hss drill bits or will i need something special.

Any tips on a good place to shop for this?

Thanks in advance

Richard

Hi

Stainless steel is difficult to drill without it work hardening and blunting / breaking your drill - in order to stop it work hardening you will need to drill slowly whilst applying considerable pressure and lubricant to prevent overheating. New good quality HSS drill bits and a drill press are your best bet.

Have you considered using aluminium angles? a lot easier to machine.

http://www.m-machine-metals.co.uk/mm/we ... angle.html

Regards Mick

Its the polishing that will be the expensive bit. The outside of the angle is fairly easy to polish (dull polish/grain) and the inside a bit harder.

Drilling it shouldn't be problem as long as you have some good quality drill bits...

PM heading your way....

If you are set on SS try Metals4U, like all mail order postage might be a killer, have used them in the past to good effect but that was for big enough order to be free delivery.

CHJ":2ouhpl1m said:
If you are set on SS try Metals4U, like all mail order postage might be a killer, have used them in the past to good effect but that was for big enough order to be free delivery.

That's a great site thanks for the link. :wink:

Thank you for all the replies, there's a bit to get my teeth into here, I'll let you know how it works out
Cheers
Richard

Take note of Marcus advice and don't stop drilling!

I fitted some s/h 3mm plate to the top of my metalwork bench and stopped halfway through a hole. Result instant snapped drill bit on start up :oops: Can be drilled but be prepared to blunt a few bits.

Great polishing site btw Marcus, thanks for posting that.

Bob

Back