Stainless all the way?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pike

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm pricing up external sliding door gears/tracks for an oak door and I'm not sure if I have to go for full stainless steel parts, or if it's ok to just replace any screws with stainless?

I'd hate for it to stain after fitting but do I need to spend big on stainless kit or will galvanised/zinc parts be ok with stainless screws?

I've always been told nothing but good quality stainless or brass will treat oak well, but does that mean I can't have any other metal anywhere near or in contact? Suppliers have told me their zinc plates have never had a problem..

Cheers!
Carl

Most zinc plated stuff these days is only electro-plated so I'd avoid it. I'd go for 316 stainless (called A4 when it is used for fixings) or silicon bronze fittings and fastenings. You could use A2 fixings but these can develop rust-like staining after a while, despite being one of the 'stainless' family. Brass is useless as it is too soft and will also de-zincify in an adverse environment. Try a company called Anglia Stainless for both the stainless and the silicon bronze fastenings. Screwfix also do a limited range of A4 stainless stuff, which I have used for marine work and it seems to be good quality.

Cheers srp. So we're talking about using stainless for both the parts of the door furnishings as well as the screws?

I always use stainless A4 screws if I can help it in oak.

What about in this case the sliding gear is all stainless except the track itself is aluminium. I suppose there is a risk of water runningoff the track and onto the oak.

Thanks,
Carl.

Back