Staining wood with coffee

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WonderWoman

Established Member
Reaction score
I left some sycamore in a tub of coffee and water overnight.
I havnt examined the end result but Il let you know.

Has anybody else done this?

Does anybody know if it will last, should it be varnished?

I would drink the coffee first and then use the dregs :)

There to my mind is no reason you should not do this, it's an organic method of dyeing. The Asians use lots of organic substances for dyes.
How long the stain will last will depend on many circumstances, but a varnish should help. Tea has often been used.

Hi WW

I'm at work at the moment and sitting looking at a set of hideously wonky shelves that someone (not me, I hasten to add!) made years ago. They are of pine stained with coffee and varnished with yacht varnish.

I cringe every time I look at the shelves but the colour has held up fine over the years. It's a bit orangey on pine. (given our Cook's buying habits it'll be Nescafé :) )

I'd say you'd be advised to varnish

You might want to watch the moisture content of the wood now though if you've actually soaked it rather than just wiping the coffee on

ATB

Given the way coffee is produced and the low wages the coffee picking people receive and the price of coffee in super markets ...... and there is no health warning on the coffee jar warning you of warping of timber if you submerse timber in coffee . Added with the fact you are Wonder Woman so you can actually spin round and end up in any coffee field you wanted ! I think you should stick with tea :lol:

WW
I have used coffee & tea individually and collectively.
Found good brewed tea a lot better, requires number of coates for darker colour.
Also used "Condies Cristals"?? which can be mixed to give various shades of brown.
You cab also try fuming with amonia on certain woods. I have fumed Oak & Beech with great success.
Phil

:D :D

Back