Staining/protecting plywood cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azk404

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a some cabinets, desk and shelves made from birch plywood I would like to stain and protect but I can't seem to find something that will work to my liking.

I have tried a couple Osmo Polyx Tints but they seem highlight some sanding banding or fine streaks even after sanding it down from at 120, then 240 and finishing ever so slightly with some 320.

I like Osmo products but is there anything I can use to reduce that? Or are there any other products that work will with plywood at all?

Cheers
A

Osmo says not to sand above 120. How you sand it makes a massive difference with osmo . Ive been doing exactly that all week. I rang them in the end and they told me the 120 sanding thing. Good luck . I hate staining and try to avoid it , its just too unpredictable. Different sheets of birch will come out very differently.

Oh damn really?

I have already stained it with the Amber tint and its looking pretty decent. Going to go over with the top oil or clear coat when I get a chance too to seal the deal.

Funny I emailed them as well but the person I contacted with didn't mention that

Cheers
A

Osmo do a thinner version for denser harder woods. By this rationale maybe you could thin it a bit with some white spirits to aid penetration into the smoothly sanded ply.

I normally sand to 180 and use normal osmo satin with no problems.

Ollie

Back