staining mahogany red

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colron have a range of dyes rather than stains that are mahogany based. they have one called Peruvian mahogany and gives a wonderful warm red hue to most woods but especially if used on a mahogany.

The old spirit stains were the best, I still have some though I think they contain methanol and so the HSE police banned them.

I have used this
457A1478-93C6-4C07-BA2C-3F4BB243E12E.png
stuff before, a few drops in whatever you normally finish with, I produced a wonderful turquoise colour once. Ian

Thanks, that made me chuckle. The annoying thing about the turquoise dyed piece of wood was that no matter what I did I couldn’t photograph it, it always came out looking a totally different colour.

@Cabinetman what are you using as the carrier medium for the dye? Just IPA or Turps. i have always thought moxol was opaque and would cover the grain rather than let you see it

Are putting it on stright to the wood and then a final finish or is it just mixed in with the "varnish"?

I put enough water-based polyurethane varnish in a jar for the job I was doing and just a few drops of the stuff in it and paint it on as normal, it is has no effect on the "see-through" quality of the varnish it just tints it a different colour.
It’s cheap enough at about £2.50 a little bottle which goes an enormously long way. I don’t really actually know what I’m doing to be perfectly honest, its not my area of expertise but it worked for me, the effects were quite stunning. Ian

I took it outside in the sunlight and it’s a bit better showing of its colour. The wood is American Ash btw.
I have just compared the photo on here to the real thing and it’s still nothing like it, Hayhoe
41B12A87-95A4-4C09-A743-CD43E165DDD7.jpeg

Are you just after the colour, or the finish? I've found the best results using tinted sprayed lacquer, rather than dying the wood. This guitar is Rustins plastic coating tinted with alcohol based dye from Luthiers Mercantile International in the States.
20210112_220054.jpg

I've used Chestnut spirit stains ( on to bare wood ) and it works very well. They sell it in small 250 ml packs and do a red mahogany. You have to spray it however for best results. Dare I say keep it away from possible sources of ignition !

stain usually will as it sits on top of the surface but dye mostly doesn't as it soaks into the wood

Latest posts

Back