Staining hands

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melinda_dd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Was just wondering. ......

When I work with walnut or oak at work, the oils in the wood stain my hands black.
Anyone else have this problem?

If so, anyone use anything that gets it off straight away? Used different soaps etc but nothing gets it off so far.

Hullo Melinda,

I have no particular experience of those woods but I get "all sorts" of marks and stains on my hands and find either Swarfega hand clear (the original green jelly stuff) or, as my wife always reminds me, pure lemon juice (from the fruit or a plastic "Jif") and/or nail varnish remover - one of the 3 always works for me. The latter 2 do tend to dry the skin out though, so good to use a decent quality hand cream immediately afterwards.

Hope that's of some help - sorry no experience of those woods.

Krgds
AES

Lemon Juice

Trust me I worked for an oak furniture company, black hands, the only thing which shifted it was a lemon cut in half and rubbed on your hands, shifts it straight away

Melinda_dd":7y3p8ykp said:
When I work with walnut or oak at work, the oils in the wood stain my hands black.
Anyone else have this problem?
It's not oils in the wood causing the black stains, it's a result of the tannin in tannin rich woods reacting with water (sweat) and iron (in the tools you use). You'll not experience this reaction if you avoid tannin rich woods in your woodworking, and where both oak and walnut are tannin rich, maples, poplar and ash are not.

You've already been given suggestions for cleaning your hands if they do become stained, so I'll not add to those. In my case I don't bother with trying to remove the stains after working with oak, etc, apart from a bit of soap and water. It doesn't work very well, but I don't care whether it works or not. Slainte.

Nitrile.
I knew vinyl wasnt quite right when I posted it, but couldnt think of the correct word.
Being in a profession that uses gloves all the time, I can honestly say that latex is far superior in terms of touch-sensitivity through the glove, and resilience to tears. However, not everyone can use latex, so nitrile is definitely the next best thing.

Adam

Sgian Dubh":1udmfugh said:
It doesn't work very well, but I don't care whether it works or not. Slainte.

That,s the attitude...... I always knew you were a free spirit but never imagined you were that wild at heart.

rebel-without-a-cause.jpg

Kalimna":16tyy0nx said:
Nitrile.
I knew vinyl wasnt quite right when I posted it, but couldnt think of the correct word.
Being in a profession that uses gloves all the time, I can honestly say that latex is far superior in terms of touch-sensitivity through the glove, and resilience to tears. However, not everyone can use latex, so nitrile is definitely the next best thing.

Adam
Latex is more resistant to tears? I found nitrile outlasted latex about 10x. Easily. The touch sensitivity is right, though.

I'm quite proud of getting my hands black/purple.

Considering the current price of Oak/Chestnut/Walnut it should be seen as a sign of wealth in woodworking communities.

After all there is no reason why hands should be the same colour as the rest of the body;)
There are usually burn marks on the arms of a cook and calluses in the hands of a carpenter and soot under the finger nails of a chimney sweeper. Parts of life.

phil.p":2ewxox8e said:
Latex is more resistant to tears? I found nitrile outlasted latex about 10x. Easily. The touch sensitivity is right, though.

My experience is that latex gloves are very good when fresh, but they get brittle (I think in UV?) relatively quickly. So if you go through a lot of gloves (like a dentist might, for example, with a new pair for every patient) then you won't notice the latex gloves going bad. If you use only one pair every few days (like a hobbyist woodworker might!) then your gloves will start to perish before you finish the box. :/

heimlaga":2svqez1p said:
After all there is no reason why hands should be the same colour as the rest of the body;)
There are usually burn marks on the arms of a cook and calluses in the hands of a carpenter and soot under the finger nails of a chimney sweeper. Parts of life.

If you want non-uniform body colour, check out a TDF cyclist!!

BugBear

Jake - you may be correct there, as I use many pairs of gloves a day, and never, ever, use them more than once. So perhaps that is why my experience of latex/nitrile is the way it is.
Phil.p - either that, or our cost conscious procurement division only buys cheap rubbish, a definite possibility.

Adam

Thanks for all replys. Think I'll try the lemon juice first.

I do usually were my stains with pride. ..... however....
On nights out black skin on my fingers and hands doesnt go with painted nails gold jewellery make up and high heels! !

.......... And she waits for the barrel load of funny manly replys about to fill this thread!!! Lol

+1 for half a lemon, and then when your hands are clean you can use the lemon to mske lemon tea - you won't notice it has a bit more tanin in it.

Just keep it out of the little nicks that most of us woodworkers have on our hands.

Jim

Latest posts

Back