Staining & finishing pine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just4Fun

Established Member
Reaction score
I have made an item out of pine. Nothing fancy, just something thrown together for utilitarian purposes, for indoor use. To fit in with other stuff it needs to be dark, almost black. My question is how to stain it and how should I finish it?

This is not an heirloom piece. It is unlikely to be required for very long and doesn't need to be too grand, but I do want it to look reasonable. The main thing I am concerned with is how to avoid a blotchy finish. What I have sometimes done with pine is to seal the surface with shellac and then apply a stain. (Or was it a dye? I am not clear on the distinction). That has prevented blotches but it also prevents the stain really soaking in and the resulting colour is lighter than if the stain were applied without the shellac sealer. Since I want a very dark result this time that may not be a good technique for this piece.

I have thought about painting it instead of staining it. That is not impossible if I am unlikely to easily get the result I want any other way.

Any suggestions?

Fine sand paper to remove anything resistant to stain such as traces of glue etc. Then brush on water or spirit based stain, quickly but without letting it pool anywhere. When dry any old polish will do - wax, linseed oil, varnish etc

Pine, especially the newer stuff is a nightmare to either stain or dye. This is due to the early and late growth rings having a massiveley differerent density and therefore they soak up a very different amount of dye etc. The best I have found for black is to use Wickes matt black chalkboard paint. This gives a fantastic smooth matt finish if desired and can also be covered over with clear laqquer from a spray can and gives a great gloss piano shine.

hth

edit typos

Last edited:
I like the idea of chalkboard paint. That seems more reliable than stain. I'll check if my local paint store carries something like it. I don't need a gloss finish, so I may just need the paint.

I like the idea of chalkboard paint. That seems more reliable than stain. I'll check if my local paint store carries something like it. I don't need a gloss finish, so I may just need the paint.
Black emulsion cheaper.

Latest posts

Back