Staining Beech

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delwood

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of projects on the go, both tables with turned beech legs. I wish to stain them to match existing dark oak furniture and had intended to use Chestnut spirit stain but have been told that spirit stain may go blotchy on beech. Is this likely?
I only have experience of water based stains and thought that spirit stains would help with raised grain on all the beads and coves.

Artist colors or micronized earth pigments will stain anything uniformly. Store stains are out.

You've been told right that beech will go blotchy with spirit stain , as will cherry, pine ,ash and a few others. I usually apply hot water then sand when dry. After that apply a very thin solution of animal glue, other glue might work but I've not tried others. This is supposed to stop the stain penetrating too far . Very lightly rub down when dry. In theory a water based stain should then go on without blotching. As DW has said earth pigments should work OK. I usually mix a deep brown earth pigment with thinned glue, apply with a brush and then use a dry brush to even the stain out. All this needs trying first on some scrap to see if it looks like like the colour you want. It can be a bit hit and miss so good luck.

Thanks Richard, I will stick with water based stains after raising the grain and sanding.

Back