Stained Field Maple Bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
First turning of this year. Made for our club competition.

Field Maple and measures 7 1/4" X 2" and has some light ripple in the bottom, sanded to 600grit and then wiped over with water and given a final sand of 600grit to de-nibed. Chestnut spirit stain applied with paint brushes and acrylic satin varnish was used as a sealer because I ran out of proper sealer. Final coats are Acrylic gloss lacquer. I left the bottom of the foot as plain wood.

Started this Tuesday and only just finished and ready for the competition is tomorrow, I like to cut it fine and if any stage goes wrong I go into panic mode

C & C welcome

Dyed maple bowl.jpg
Dyed maple bowl 4.jpg
Dyed maple bowl 2.jpg

Attachments

• Dyed maple bowl.jpg
    Dyed maple bowl.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 765
  • Dyed maple bowl 4.jpg
    Dyed maple bowl 4.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 765
  • Dyed maple bowl 2.jpg
    Dyed maple bowl 2.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 765
Thank you Chas. All we have are three section, Novice, Senior and Enhanced. No set theme this will be in the enhanced section but next year I might try the novice section :lol: seriously I probably have a go at just the senior which means just turning without things like the addition of colour just for a change.

I love this bowl. The colour is so vivid with that great shine and I like the way you've bled them into each other. The red accent is really good in my opinion. Bear in mind I only ever use an oiled finish, but this bowl is making me rethink that!

The colours are wonderful and the finish looks great. As always. Well done, thanks for sharing!

Thank you both.

matt_southward":2ig06ttc said:
I love this bowl. The colour is so vivid with that great shine and I like the way you've bled them into each other. The red accent is really good in my opinion. Bear in mind I only ever use an oiled finish, but this bowl is making me rethink that!

This is something that I learnt from a member on here THIS is a video he did it took me a couple of goes to get the results you see here

Back