Stain cherry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon_M

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a project with cherry.

I want to even out the colour because on the front there is a consistent colour with interesting markings etc. but on the back I have a mixture of “normal” and “lighter” e.g. some sapwood (perhaps with hindsight too much) showing.

I want to bring the lighter wood in-line but keep the rest as it is. I also want to avoid any newly coloured areas looking too “fake”. The back is also the front e.g. turn it around so can’t be completely ignored.

I don’t have any sealant, stain or other finish applied so I’m hoping there is a way to even out the differences but allow for the cherry also changing later to a darker and richer tone.

Can other woods be stained to look similar (I need to use a thicker piece of material and can’t simply join/layer two pieces) so I’m looking at wood I have e.g. sycamore? Also mindful that a finish applied now will not prevent later colour changes.

Thanks - their designs were about simplicity e.g. shaker style doors or shaker construction techniques, (but also I didn't realise) using bright colours to stain e.g. red, blue, yellow or green etc. something I definitely don't want.

This article especially the 2nd page shows how blotchiness can be partially overcome - there is a photo of wood with the two contrasting tones that's something I wanted help to overcome:

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/tech ... ng-cherry/

The article also points out that some commercial furniture apply a finish over the wood so it's darker and is more of a cover - again something I want to avoid. I might try the sun "darken" technique - perhaps a UV lamp would also do the trick, but be a safer option?

Back