stage fright

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sue denim

Established Member
Reaction score
I am a qualified carpenter with over 30 years experience in construction and joinery as well as turnery.

Serious question

Is there an equivalent to stage fright for carpenters ?

Since setting up in France the business has been successful but I feel my confidence slipping. Anyone felt a similar thing and what is the cure?

regards Sue Denim.

not my real name !

Sounds like you need a revamp of some description Simon, perhaps a french language version of your web site and spread yourself more around your adopted country doing something a little different, I get the impression from your current English language site that you rely a lot on ex-pats for business.

I know what you mean, but it's just getting back into the swing of things sometimes which is the only cure. Currently I am doing a hell of alot of machine work rather than assembly and fitting work. When the time does come for me to have to go back to doing assembly and fitting I think it will be a similar case of "stage fright" you described, but I'm sure in no time I'd adjust again. When I first started doing wood machine work heavily I was scared I wouldn't do it right, but soon got adjusted.

I do not know about stage fright but some aspects of the trade like doing a ceiling and nailing above your head and other parts like using certain configurations on machinery are simple enough. Though I have done them in the past I am not regular doing it so to speak as I deal with more the Management side/ordering/customers/QC/Safety/Maintenance/HR/Bonus calc/individual hours. So with nailing above your head or cutting out a roof again by hand I would need to think or get used to it again. I can tell people how to do it or what is best. But like all things its like riding a bike you quickly remember using ingrained practicle skills, methods learnt like a bell cast roof or turret roof and it is not like like your a total novice as you have done it previous. But like all things practice makes perfect and doing it daily or frequently helps in upkeep of tool skills and methods.

Simon I 've seen some of your (some of it first hand) and would love to have the skills you have. So I can't understand the lack of confidence. Perhaps you're just trying to talk yourself into the change of direction you talked about. Go for it, or it will nag at you until you do.

I think that working on my own has something to do with it.....perhaps I should talk to myself more.

Thankyou Froggy for the encouragement....I need to get into the new workshop too....fed up with working in a shoe box size 'garage'.

Speak soon

Sue

Latest posts

Back