Stabilising old timbers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artiglio

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening All

I’m currently converting an old barn/oast. Its been through multiple changes in its lifetime and not much of the original barn timber remains. What has is in very poor condition, years of worm attack and a bit of rot.
Between the design and structural eng. little (if any) need be removed Other than some of the awful latter struts and props.The barn has been water tight since march and its been drying out nicely, one area of active worm has been found and cleaned and drying out well ,still being watched closely but going right way.
At some point the timber will need to be treated in some way to seal/stabilise it , if nothing else to keep the dust down. I bought one of the clear penetrating resins and tried on a timber that’ll never be seen, certainly made it solid but the finish was very unattractive and fake looking.
Any suggestions as to what to use? As natural as possible look once treated would be ideal. Was thinking of trying a sanding sealer next.
E51054AF-E62E-4BDF-841C-3A1FF3AF2588.jpeg

Hi Artiglio, I’m not sure why you want to treat it with anything really, and why if you did it would keep the dust down, are you saying that the dust is created by the woodworm? If not wood doesn’t create dust, dust that is in the air will land on the timber, but it would do that if it was finished or not.
I can’t think of anything that would do what you want without it appearing on the surface as a finish and that would as you say look unattractive and fake looking. Others on here may know different as is often the case of course!
I think if it was me I would go over the whole building and get as much dirt and dust out as possible and then go over all the timber with a brush on a vacuum. Sorry I can’t be more helpful. Ian

Fair comment, certainly no harm in getting everything done and seeing how living with it like that goes for a while. Projects a slow burner so no rushing required.

Try a thin solvent based wood stabilizer like Tetrion or ronseal do one I think. Not sure these will be around long as they are heavy on the VOC`s.
Because they are very thin they soak right in and are a bit less shiny looking than the normal epoxy plastic shiny surface.

Back