Stabila Type R Level

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark18PLL

Established Member
Reaction score
I would like to purchase a decent set of Stabila levels and the Type R look pretty good. Has anyone purchased these or would recommend anything else?

Cheers
Mark

It's the same old story: any level which is accurate is as good as any other. A cheapie from a shed which is accurate is every bit as good as a Stabilia. What you pay for with a Stabila is having to test rather fewer before you find one which is bang-on.

I prefer the 83S series but I don't use them for general building work, only for leveling joinery.

I have Stabila and I also have whatever the Aldi or Lidl brand is. Powerfix? A level is a level is a level.

The cheap ones I use when I am doing paving and bricklaying. Or when I need to lend one to my wife, who abuses tools in my opinion. The Stabila ones I keep for "clean" work. I would not pay much extra for a premium level, but mine came from Germany (we live there some of the time as my wife is German) and they were almost as cheap over there as the cheap ones here.

The difference in my experience is the cases (the metal bit I mean). The Stabila ones I have came with a ground alloy face both sides, which is very true and flat.

I also have a much abused Wickes one which is very good.

You can't go wrong with Stabila levels and I personally love the Type R. I have a 6' and a 2' and will be replacing my other levels with Type R as needed. For me they just feel right in the hand.

It does depend what you are using them for, the bricklayers I know don't rate the Type R preferring the traditional 83s metal girder type but for me these don't suit working in peoples houses doing joinery. The Type R are more rounded with rubber ends etc so seem less likely to damage things when they fall over :rolleyes:

I still have one of the original very expensive Stabila levels dating from the 1960s which was my late father's who incidentally was a GF for some of the big league builders in those days and he always swore by Stabila.
I have several of the regular Stabila levels in varying sizes. Currently I'm building a Catio and needed a 60cm level which was one size I didn't possess as I loaned out the one I had and it was never returned, so I bought a 60cm Stabila for the job which only cost a straight £20.00 and I'm very happy with it! Easy to read and very accurate.

In all honesty it wouldn't really matter to me which brand I was using as long as it was accurate. You can only get something level if that is your aim no matter which brand of level you use.
It's the same with a wood working or engineer's squares...as long as the square is accurate and produces as near perfect as possible a 90 degree angle which is the whole objective, then who's bothered which brand one uses?

Squares or levels are either accurate or they're not, there's no in between. Now if we are talking about cutting tools such as wood chisels or plane blades then brand very often does make a difference as usually, the better quality chisels and plane blades produced by certain manufacturers who cater for the discerning purchaser are likely to hold their edges better that cheaper items if looked after properly.

I have a set of the top of the range Marples (yellow and red handles) from around 1962 and even now, although they have suffered neglect over the years in the form of being left for years to rust, but once cleaned up they still hold an excellent edge. I also own a set of slightly more modern green handled Marples chisels but they not in the same league as the older yellow and red ones.

You can't go wrong with Stabila levels and I personally love the Type R. I have a 6' and a 2' and will be replacing my other levels with Type R as needed. For me they just feel right in the hand.

It does depend what you are using them for, the bricklayers I know don't rate the Type R preferring the traditional 83s metal girder type but for me these don't suit working in peoples houses doing joinery. The Type R are more rounded with rubber ends etc so seem less likely to damage things when they fall over :rolleyes:
[/QUOTEI
I can't find the type R in 6'

Stopped using Stabila levels a long time ago, erratic quality leads to expensive mistakes. I only use BMI levels.

As long as its a half decent set and accurate then makes no difference what so ever.How many on here who do not know how to check a level would surprise you :rolleyes: To check a level just turn it around and bubble needs to be in exactly the same place.

Do you recommend any particular model of BMI?
I own/run a civil engineering firm so generally buy the heaven duty range, I believe the Superstar, I also buy quite far too many screed type levels they are 3-4 m and have a tendency to get stepped on or driven over by dumpers

Back