St. Roy ...get your fix

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lanemaux

In Memorium
Reaction score
I am certain that most of you hand tool illuminati know that Roy Underhills highly entertaining program The Woodwrights Shop Can now be watched free and gratis on his website. But on the off chance that you did not know , well 4 seasons of hand tool fun and games await you . That is 52 episodes of the longest running how-to show PBS has got to offer. Sadly it is in flash format and so a little lacking in resolution. We cannot blame the website for that though, it would be a prodigious amount of data at DVD resolution.
Mike

Just to improve my English:

Don't you like it, Rob or doesn't the side work for you?

Cheers Pedder

Thank you for the link Alf , will be reading up on the tutorials so that I might master such skills, that is after I get the microwave to stop flashing 12:00 .As I have now posted double digits , guess I really should know how to direct attention to pertinent data.
Mike

pedder":36fjxaar said:
Just to improve my English:

Don't you like it, Rob or doesn't the side work for you?

Cheers Pedder

The 'hicksville, flat cap, good 'ol boy' approach with the 'workshop' :roll: (read studio workshop) that's straight out of the 18cent doesn't cut any ice hereabouts...St Roy probably goes home to his 21st cent condo in an air conditioned SUV...or similar - Rob...jaundiced

Well , um , not really Rob... at least not according to Mother Earth news. Apparently at one time the lad lived on cheyenne Mountain in a tent. He was also writing for them occasionally ... not much more of a greenatude magazine than that available anywhere. I think it may be safe to conclude that his attitudes may be in fact as they appear. Just my opinion of course
Mike

P.S Just found out on Christopher Schwarz blog that he and Roy will do TWO shows together this season. According to his blog Christopher stayed at Roy's watermill home overnight as well , seemingly having a nice visit.

woodbloke":cl43iw1x said:
The 'hicksville, flat cap, good 'ol boy' approach with the 'workshop' :roll: (read studio workshop) that's straight out of the 18cent doesn't cut any ice hereabouts...St Roy probably goes home to his 21st cent condo in an air conditioned SUV...or similar - Rob...jaundiced

OK I think I got it. :)

Cheers Pedder

lanemaux":3dxwqe3a said:
Well , um , not really Rob... at least not according to Mother Earth news. Apparently at one time the lad lived on cheyenne Mountain in a tent. He was also writing for them occasionally ... not much more of a greenatude magazine than that available anywhere. I think it may be safe to conclude that his attitudes may be in fact as they appear. Just my opinion of course
Mike
Fair enoughski...I did say 'probably' :wink: so if the guy's genuine then more power to his elbow - Rob

I didn't 'get him' to begin with but, after I'd watched a few episodes I began to really like his honest approach and sense of humour. Just a shame he has to cram so much in each episode without going into more depth.

I find his show interesting, and the episode where he forms a "barley sugar twist" was most instructive, to me at least.
mack

Back when I watched "New Yankee Workshop" (do you get that in the UK?) and use them 'lectric things, I tried watching Roy a couple of times on TV. I thought he was just nuts, bouncing around like a rubber ball shot from a cannon, couldn't follow anything.

However, once I started shifting to hand tools, I paid more attention to what he was doing, and started to find his show incredibly rich and detailed. He does cram an awful lot in at a time, so you have to work to keep up.

I also passed on his books for years, but recently I bought them all. They're loaded with gems (and a few oddball things).

He also has a long history with Colonial Williamsburg, which is a living history museum recreating the early 18th century. So that's part of where his persona comes from. But I do think he's the genuine article. He's put a lot of effort into keeping hand tool usage alive in the US.

Back