• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

ssssspoon

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

bowmaster

Established Member
Reaction score
Just finished carving this spoon out of Ash. I bought a pyrography tool in order to do the art work. Really enjoyed making that. I could have carved the scales individually, but that would have taken an age, and there was the risk of pinging some of them off - maybe next time.

Attachments

bowmaster

Established Member
Reaction score
love it - how long does something like that take?
Thanks Rorton for the comment. I'm not really sure as I did it over a period of time - maybe 10 hours in total. The scales took longer to draw than to burn. I wanted them to look right. I need to get some glass eyes - just to really finish it off - they're difficult to find in this country, but you can easily buy from the states - but £12 delivered for 2 x 6mm glass eyes.....it might have to stay 'blind' <lol>. But I have to say that I was really surprised at how little pressure you need and how much fine detail you can get using a pyrography tool - amazing - just adds another dimension to what you make.

cheers

Dean

Tris

What am I doing here?
Reaction score
Hi Dean,
That's a lovely piece
You might be able to get glass eyes on Etsy, my wife gets them for felt animals from there

Tris

MJP

Established Member
Reaction score
As a lifelong Ophidiophobe all I can say is

Uuuuugggghhh!!

Martin.

Phill05

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to get some glass eyes - just to really finish it off - they're difficult to find in this country, but you can easily buy from the states - but £12 delivered for 2 x 6mm glass eyes.....it might have to stay 'blind' <lol>.

cheers

Dean
Lovely work If you have a steady hand and a small diamond cutter have a go at splitting a coloured glass bead I did it for an owl's eyes and it worked well.

Phill

bowmaster

Established Member
Reaction score
what pyrography kit did you use?
I use Peter Child's kit:
I've only just bought it. It's made by Robert Sorby and is well made (as you would expect), feels solid and does exactly what it says on the tin - it burns wood

Cheers
Dean

bourbon

Established Member
Reaction score
I use Peter Child's kit:
I've only just bought it. It's made by Robert Sorby and is well made (as you would expect), feels solid and does exactly what it says on the tin - it burns wood

Cheers
Dean
That's the unit made By Peter Childs, Robert Sorby took it over when the Childs family stopped. Peter Child Pyrography Tool