Squaring the end of Contiplas panels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knot Competent

Established Member
Reaction score
OK guys and gals, I need some wisdom from those who have gone before..

An imminent project requires me to hack a couple of sheets of the dread Contiplas into pieces, and make the ends dead square. As both my table saw and circular saw will leave poor edges, due to a need for new blades, my expectation is that the final squaring and trimming can be achieved with a router and jig. Can anyone direct me to a picture or plan on the Net for such a jig? I need to cut panels up to 24" wide, and would like the jig to ensure dead-square ends.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Regards, John

Hi John and hello all

As a total novice, I would score the cut line with a sharp knife to eliminate chipping of the surface before cutting and then finish with a guide clamp and router.

cheers
Paul

Knot Competent":1p5k1qgf said:
OK guys and gals, I need some wisdom from those who have gone before..

An imminent project requires me to hack a couple of sheets of the dread Contiplas into pieces, and make the ends dead square. As both my table saw and circular saw will leave poor edges, due to a need for new blades, my expectation is that the final squaring and trimming can be achieved with a router and jig. Can anyone direct me to a picture or plan on the Net for such a jig? I need to cut panels up to 24" wide, and would like the jig to ensure dead-square ends.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Regards, John

Have a look on your local market stalls for a cheap roofing joist square.
Possibly Aluminium maybe steel 450mm X 300mm or there abouts.
(usually £2-£3) and use it to align a Straight Edge guide for the router.

Not a long term tool to pass on to the next generation but good enough (and square enough for what you require) to last the year and then throw away.

Hi John

Both of the tips are good ones, but do you have a jigsaw that will give you a good cut?

If so, score the cut line and then use the jigsaw. To give you a good edge finish it with a router. Could you use some of the contiplas to give you a straight edge?

Hi Paul

Good tip and welcome to UKW.

Cheers
Neil

Thanks Chas, that's a good idea. I'll go for that, to set up an accurate jig. But I can't picture the jig in my mind, which is why I need a nudge in the right direction as to how to go about making the jig. Just running the router along a clamped piece of Contiboard won't enable easy multiple use, whereas a router-powered sort of shooting board will. Just can't see how at the moment, which is the reason for this query.

Welcome, Paul. Hope you learn as much as I'm doing, which increases the pleasure of achievement.

And Neil, I've never got to grips with a jigsaw. Two reasons - only ever had a really cheap one, and poor technique. So cutting on the table saw and final trimming with the router has to be the way for me.

So, any pictures or plans out there?

Regards, John

John,

It's pretty easy to make something like this
shooting_jig.sized.jpg

You can use say 6 or 9mm MDF about 8 inches wide, a piece of straight wood for the longitudinal fence. Use your regular router/bit combination to trim the edges then all you have to do is line up the edge of the MDF with your cut line on work you wish to trim with the same router bit combo.
Just make sure the fence underneath is at right angles to the fence on the top!

Also make sure you mark the router base and have the same position turned to the fence whenever in use. Not all router bases are symmetrical and many are not concentric with the bit.

Yep, seen them Chas. I'll try a couple back-to-back on a flat surface to make sure they're square before I buy.

Thanks for your trouble, John

Back