Squaring advice...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Tom,
I don't really work with metal so would have made the fence you talk of out of wood, meaning it might not of been as sturdy. To be fair it would just get in the way, especially if I was trying to clamp onto the table when using it as an assembly.

I do plan to make a sled, and a tenon jig etc I need the saw to bas versatile as possible as I dont have room for much other equipment, would it then be a bad idea to toe out??

Hello again
I would be very suspicious of a wooden fence design moving, and would think constantly checking it may take longer, than fixing the rail on the saw occasionally.
Have you thought about just setting in the saw in deeper by cutting out a section of the bench for the rail so it won't get damaged?

You may or may not want another bench in time for hand tools, if you are so inclined to use any, you would have a much different criteria for a bench,
So you may choose to add more functionality to your MFT bench, like fold down tables for moving the thing through a door, or going against a wall etc.

Worth considering this rather than going to the trouble of making an accurate and reliable fence system from unsuitable materials in my view.
Even with metalwork skills and tooling, it is no guarantee that the first iteration of a design would work?
Say you make a big chunky design from wood the likes of the Wadkin PK (JackEnglishmachines gives an in-depth rundown on it on the tube)
And you wish to attach it with something like a bunch of those UKJ bench dogs...
what happens when they get stuck?
Most of the time, If somethings not out there to be found, then there must be good reason for it.

All the best
Tom

Hello again
I would be very suspicious of a wooden fence design moving, and would think constantly checking it may take longer, than fixing the rail on the saw occasionally.
Have you thought about just setting in the saw in deeper by cutting out a section of the bench for the rail so it won't get damaged?

You may or may not want another bench in time for hand tools, if you are so inclined to use any, you would have a much different criteria for a bench,
So you may choose to add more functionality to your MFT bench, like fold down tables for moving the thing through a door, or going against a wall etc.

Worth considering this rather than going to the trouble of making an accurate and reliable fence system from unsuitable materials in my view.
Even with metalwork skills and tooling, it is no guarantee that the first iteration of a design would work?
Say you make a big chunky design from wood the likes of the Wadkin PK (JackEnglishmachines gives an in-depth rundown on it on the tube)
And you wish to attach it with something like a bunch of those UKJ bench dogs...
what happens when they get stuck?
Most of the time, If somethings not out there to be found, then there must be good reason for it.

All the best
Tom
Thanks for the advice.
I did make a fence yesterday and it’s “ok” for now. I’m in the very initial stages of my first proper workshop and this will now get me to the point where I have the ability to cut stuff up.
I’m going today for a piece of MDf and will make a sled.
I’m absolutely certain things will change and evolve many times over the years, probably as my level of skill does.
After using the fence I made yesterday I know it’ll never be good enough, I do have a couple of lengths of steel tube that had a same size l shape welded to it to help keep it straight and rigid.
They are fairly straight and around 1200mm in length, I think they’ll be perfect for a proper fence system.
I do love hand tool work, that’s how I started last year. I do have a “bench” top that’s from a kitchen work top. It’s very rugged and flat. I made a Moxon vice type thing on the front so it’s very handy.
I plan to attach it to the wall with hinges so it can be put out of the way when not in use. I’ll install a little lower than the other work surfaces in there (1100 mm as I’m 6 3”) so I can use more body weight when using the plane or sharpening blades.
The fence I made is nothing more than - more convenient than having to clamp my long spirit level for each cut.
It’ll get me by for now.
2904830B-B3A4-4AB5-86BA-5E2774297073.jpeg

Attachments

• 5DEBD52F-CD07-4C10-88AE-40670FD5A60B.jpeg
    5DEBD52F-CD07-4C10-88AE-40670FD5A60B.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
Back