Square Platter Critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

This is my first piece in nearly a year, and also my first attempt at square turning. Oak on a walnut plinth. 9x6"

Square Platter

Thanks for looking.

That's jumping in with both feet somewhat after such a break in turning, tackling a thin constant section and square finger wrappers into the bargain.
Well done, only critical comment I would make is in reference to the corners where I think you've been a little over enthusiastic with the sanding and thinned them down, I think it wood look a little more impressive with sharp constant thickness right up to the corner.

But few of us would do any better after a 12 month away from spinny things.

I agree with Chas, very impressive and a clever idea. The corners are a bit dodgy, but if it is your first for a year .....

Good way to build up a bigger piece from small stock and would be good as a full round platter too.

I agree with Chas and Terry :D
Also is the shape fully curved or is it flat in the middle :?:
Looking at it,it look flat, it would have looked better if it had a nice even curve all the way across,but a great looking piece none the less,and nicely photoed :D

Thanks for the comments fellas.

RE the corners: It was a concious decision on my part to make them come to a point. This may or may not have been bad decision. I can visualise the appeal of a constant thickness all the way to they corners.

Paul. It is not flat in the middle. It is a shallower curve. The first picture doesn't actually portray this very well. Maybe this one will:

Blister, Here is a pic of the underside. There is actually a flat groove routed in the underside of the oak. The Walnut sits in this.

Back