Square Bowls?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duiker

Established Member
Reaction score
As promised I thought I would share the new square bowl (and this forum is handy for the wife to see what I'm doing when at work).

Duiker-square2.jpg

and from above with some nice flowers for those nature lovers among you.
The bowl is made from Cedar (smells bloody awful when turning) and was an absolute doddle to turn. I like this wood and intend to get some more!

Duiker-square1.jpg

Looks great! Cedar is a great looking timber-I was lucky enough to pass a building site where they had just cut down a huge old one. Filled the car with as much as I could carry..........
I have also planked some of it for drawer linings. It is really dry now and ready to go. That smell.......Ahhhh! :lol:
Keep up the good work,
cheers
Philly :D

Which sort of cedar was that? I got a log from a bough of cedar of Lebanon which fell down at work, and it was distinctly uninteresting! Was I just unlucky? 'cos to judge by the wires and braces in the cedars, there will be some more timber available before long.

Hi Dick,

To be honest I dont know what cedar it was? It was part of my Dads old stock so I cant say I bought it either. All I know was it turned really well and, with a little sanding sealer, finished a treat. It is very soft though and I could have turned it with the sanding disks :lol:

Hi Mick
any problems with 'differential sanding' :?: ... where the abrasive takes out more of the softer part of the grain... can be a problem with softwoods.

Back