Spyderco CTS BD1N

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
I've had it for a few years, a Christmas gift from SWMBO.

Clipped in my pocked all the time but doesn't get any heavy abuse.

Yesterday the blade ceased to stay open or closed just flops around, Anyone know if it's repairable.

Attachments

• spyderco-para-3-lightweight-black-frn-bd1n-1__64599.1556294798.jpg
    spyderco-para-3-lightweight-black-frn-bd1n-1__64599.1556294798.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 45
it's a framelock isn't it?
check that the sprung lock on the back isn't jammed in place by a bit of detritus.

It's the one supposedly legal for UK carry, no excuse necessary.
No lock, the blade is under a little tension when closed and/or open.
Except now it's not.

here you go.
Thank you, I've been in touch with the retailer, I'll see what he says. For the price they should have a lifetime warranty. :)

There must be something broken inside so no point me messing around .

Except now it's not.
Always remember to never agree to it being an offencive weapon it's always a knife or tool as if you agree it automatically becomes one!

CTS BD1N is the type of steel, not a model number (it is used on many models). The photo posted is of para3-lightweight, which is a compression lock; definitely needs a good reason to have out the house. You might have a UKPK for a ‘UK friendly’ knife in that steel.

They are a slip-joint with a split spring to give 2 different tensions for open and closed (stronger open). The issue you describe is like the inner prong of the split spring is broken. Spares are available direct from Spyderco.

I’d contact them direct. A lot of the US companies are very good in terms of honouring warranty.
https://www.spyderco.com/service-support/warranty-repair/Or
Sal, the owner has been active on uk forums in the past (the late lamented British Blades forum) so is engaged with the market.

There is there own forum too which it looks like Sal posts on. I’d ask there.

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=88833
I’m not particularly down with their offering but the pic you’ve shared (and I think the thread title) is a para 3 I think which does lock? (A uk legal version is requested in the Spyderco forum thread I’ve linked to above). But I may be missing something 😀

CTS BD1N is the type of steel, not a model number (it is used on many models). The photo posted is of para3-lightweight, which is a compression lock; definitely needs a good reason to have out the house. You might have a UKPK for a ‘UK friendly’ knife in that steel.

They are a slip-joint with a split spring to give 2 different tensions for open and closed (stronger open). The issue you describe is like the inner prong of the split spring is broken. Spares are available direct from Spyderco.
You're quite right, Artie has gone off half cocked again.

Here's the exact one I have.

Spyderco C94PBK

Attachments

• Spyderco C94PBK.jpg
    Spyderco C94PBK.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 21
Except now it's not.

Ah it's a UKPK. Yeah there won't be a lock on it. Quite possible the spring has snapped, a rare but not impossible thing to happen. Spyderco should be able to supply a new spring.

Watch the video above, you can see where the tension is sourced - looks like the other 'bit' is bent / broken (the spring?). Their warranty is good. Hunt them out via Google, they replaced the clip for me, no bother.

Back