Spurtles !!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJC

Reaction score
I want somebody to turn some Spurtles for me, I have some high quality Burmese teak unused and sound but old. I need about ten initially. The Teak is two inches thick and was destined to be used by the Navy for teak decking. Also and this is a bit more difficult I need some small circles cut out of teak and this would normally done with a powered pantograph.

I’m sure you’ll get someone to do those for you, a nice easy shape. Thanks for posting, I’d never heard of those. No doubt kept secret from us evil English so that Scots can laugh at our lumpy porridge! I’m off to make a few now.

BTW the circles could be cut on a CNC if you know someone with one, or a bandsaw circle jig, possibly finished on a router table if they need to be perfect.

My teak was destined for the last ship in the Navy to have teak decks. I think the circles could be cut with a laser. Its for inserts in bookmarks. It burns a bit if a laser is used but could be buffed clean. I have makers in Sheffield but every body is pushed for time at the moment. Regards but wrong way you summon the devil.

Well I couldn’t resist the lure of the lathe and snuck out to the barn. Found an offcut of cherry and 30 minutes later I am ready for making porridge in the morning! Any old excuse will do.

C7CE813C-BAE9-4280-A848-E4A3179575A6.jpeg

If the spurtle was an essential in every Scottish kitchen - and it should really have a thistle shaped top, laddie - then so was the "tattie masher". A wooden item for mashing up boiled potatoes, it resembled the wartime German version of the hand grenade - in fact, the Scots soldiers nicknamed their grenades tattie mashers.

I still need somebody to make spurtles and a few other items for me.

I still need somebody to make spurtles and a few other items for me.
I might have someone who can help if you are still looking - drop me a message! Also, if you have any spare teak, I would be interested, as I repair and restore classic wooden boats for a living and am always looking for decent teak and mahogany for my work.

Many thanks. The job is underway. The teak is two inch thick ex Royal Navy teak which was destined for the last ship in the Navy with a teak deck deck which was the Royal Yacht. I have had it many years and what is left I am looking for some off to make paper knives with.

Well I couldn’t resist the lure of the lathe and snuck out to the barn. Found an offcut of cherry and 30 minutes later I am ready for making porridge in the morning! Any old excuse will do.

View attachment 127119
Stir your breakfast with it before the days fishing and then smack the evening meal trout over the head with it. Multipurpose tool!

I might have someone who can help if you are still looking - drop me a message! Also, if you have any spare teak, I would be interested, as I repair and restore classic wooden boats for a living and am always looking for decent teak and mahogany for my work.
I am still looking for a wood turner to make my spurtles. I don‘t have much of this teak left. I have a requirement for paper knives with the same teak already cut up. I am down to one short piece of teak planking.

Latest posts

Back