Spring time power washing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amateur

Established Member
Reaction score
Its that time of year again where the power washer comes out and I start on my concrete flags.
I hate doing it.
But is there any other way to get the ingrained muck off them?

I agree with ian above, patio head is very effective. Did mine back in march, saves you getting soaked as well.

If you haven’t got one, I can recommend those spinning patio cleaners to go on the end, yes it splits up your jet into several but it just seems to work. Ian

Oh yes, they are a revelation if you have never used one, so much more efficient and less messy.

I have not had to power clean this year, last year I sprayed with a product called "Greengone" dilute it down and used a hand sprayer great job.

diluted bleach or diluted peroxide bleach (originally branded oxi-clean here) both stop and reduce the grip of the stuff you're talking about.

But, if some of the bits are living green stuff and other is just settled sediment, then that's not so great. I choose the diluted peroxide for the house and bleach for the patio as the power washer always blasts away something somewhere that I have to fix. A light brushing while applying dilute bleach on the patio removes most of the sediment without breaking anything apart (and works the bleach in).

Concentration of bleach is small enough here that the grass at the edge of the patio is unaffected when everything is rinsed into it. regularity - twice a year for 15 minutes - is more important than brute strength of chemicals.

I’ve been advised by different suppliers over the years never to pressure wash paving. The reason, is that the jet cleans right to the bottom of any fissures and pits in the surface and the wear can make them deeper meaning there’s more for the dirt and algae to lodge in. The more you pressure wash the worse it gets. I hate pressure washing so I always used a patio/paving cleaner with great effect so have no proof either way, anyone else been told this? Of course it may be totally dependent on the slabs....

I’ve been advised by different suppliers over the years never to pressure wash paving. The reason, is that the jet cleans right to the bottom of any fissures and pits in the surface and the wear can make them deeper meaning there’s more for the dirt and algae to lodge in. The more you pressure wash the worse it gets. I hate pressure washing so I always used a patio/paving cleaner with great effect so have no proof either way, anyone else been told this? Of course it may be totally dependent on the slabs....

Yup, I've been told the same thing, so I don't use the pressure lance on the patio any more. But that "spinny thingy" (rotating brushes on a sort of round mop-shaped thingy seems to be OK. I guess that the pressure of the water coming out of the rotating brush/nozzle things underneath is lower than the normal washer & certainly less than the high pressure lance. Seems OK on ours anyway.

Looks like Ill try the," springy thing"
I was hoping some company would have brought out a good top coat that you can apply that stops ingress of falling dust particles. Then just brush or mop it once a year.

I have not had to power clean this year, last year I sprayed with a product called "Greengone" dilute it down and used a hand sprayer great job.

But where does it go.:oops:
Ive used the algi gone product. Now that works really well on wooden fences that have gone green over the winter.

Get it on ebay. No it won't kill grass but don't spray it on grass. Its the active ingredient of all these marked up moss killers

Is it more effective than bleach? Never tried anything else to be honest as bleach was cheap and readily available .

Latest posts

Back