Spring loaded hinges on bought wardrobes.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan L

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, probably the wrong thing to say on this forum but last year I bought some wardrobes from MFI. I am having trouble getting the hinges to pull the doors in flush when they are closed, ie a couple of doors hang slightly open. This 1. looks untidy and 2. I have fitted some internal concealed lighting and the door switch fails to turn the lights off. The doors fail to close properly even if I take the switch off. On one of the wardrobes the doors close properly and the system works great. On two wardrobes I just can't get the doors to close proper however I adjust the hinges.

I know you guys wouldn't buy from MFI but some of you may use the same type of hinges. Anyone got any tips on setting these hinges??

The doors may be set too close to the carcase, if they are like blum hinges, loosen the fixing screw and slide the hinge a couple of mm towards the front of the carcase, this will stop the door binding.

Jason

I expect Jason is right. MFI use Salice hinges, cheaper version of the Blum's. The screw he refers to is the central one on the part that screws to the carcase. There should be a mm or 2 of clearance between the door and the edge of the carcase on the hinge side.
If that doesn't work then the door itself might be warped.
John

Thanks guys I'll have another play this weekend.

Doors do actually close squarely if placed shut so I don't think the doors are warpped. They just don't snap shut by themselves.

Had another go this weekend and the problem was more fundamental than alignment. Some of the hinges are more springy than others so swapped a few of the part than screws to the door around and all doors now snap shut. something to look out for next time to save me wasting a couple of hours.

Back