Spring for Parkinson model f No.8 vise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteCo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have a lovely old (huge!) Parkinson no.8 engineers vise that I plan to restore.
It's great apart from the fact that the quick release Spring is broken

Does anyone know how I could find a replacement in the uk ? Or any way to repair it ?

Cheers
Pete

I expect the spring is helical coil type, not concentric watch spring type as on the Parkinsons Perfect woodworking vise? A picture might help.

I replaced the broken concentric spring on my Parkinson's woodworking 9" version 1 (very heavy, long base) - with one from a very cheaply bought damaged late model Record 52 - just shows how little Record (and the others) changed Parkinson's original patented 1880 design. It's partly the feeling of using a 140 year old vice, but even allowing for that, I think the heavy old Parky has the edge over a Record.

Back to your engineering Parky (good find) -- if a coil spring, might be able to replace it with something like an old bed frame spring?

Hi , yes you're right. It's a helical , cylindrical Spring about 2.5inches long and about 5/8ths diameter with a protruding loop at one end which stops against a small pin on the shaft of the quick release bar. I will maybe try the bed Spring idea if I can find one ! Cheers

Back