Spraying

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p111dom

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry I know this is the wrong section to ask this but I need an answer quickly and the finishing section can take a while to get a reply. I'm nearing the end if a much delayed project and wanted to go for a spray finish. I have Genetal Finishes wipe on poly but was told by the importer and others that I couldn't spray this. In the end I decided to use a water based sanding sealer followed by a polyacrylic top coat as I saw the wood whisperer using this product. However when I came to order I saw the high performance top coat which has a uv inhibitor. The finished project will be in a very light room so this seemed like a good idea. I thought it was just a slightly different variant of the polyacrylic but now that it's arrived I'm not so sure. The sanding sealer has instructions for spraying on the tin but it says nothing about spraying on the HP top coat tin. That said it says nothing about spraying the polyacrylic on th General Finishes site and I know you can spray that. Since it's a water based top coat, am I ok to spray this product? Ingredients are water acrylic resin proprietary, glycol ethers proprietary, propylene glycol 57-55-6 and urethane resin proprietary.

Does anyone have a tin of the polyacrylic to coat to see if it says anything specifically on that tin about spraying?

Many thanks

Hi p111dom,

You can spray pretty well anything as long as you've got some sort of mask that filters out the nasties in the air. The only difference is the amount of thinning required. The only way to test this is to have a go (or use a viscosity cup if you've got one!!)

HTH

Richard

p111dom":222xf0zs said:
Sorry I know this is the wrong section to ask this but I need an answer quickly and the finishing section can take a while to get a reply. I'm nearing the end if a much delayed project and wanted to go for a spray finish. I have Genetal Finishes wipe on poly but was told by the importer and others that I couldn't spray this. In the end I decided to use a water based sanding sealer followed by a polyacrylic top coat as I saw the wood whisperer using this product. However when I came to order I saw the high performance top coat which has a uv inhibitor. The finished project will be in a very light room so this seemed like a good idea. I thought it was just a slightly different variant of the polyacrylic but now that it's arrived I'm not so sure. The sanding sealer has instructions for spraying on the tin but it says nothing about spraying on the HP top coat tin. That said it says nothing about spraying the polyacrylic on th General Finishes site and I know you can spray that. Since it's a water based top coat, am I ok to spray this product? Ingredients are water acrylic resin proprietary, glycol ethers proprietary, propylene glycol 57-55-6 and urethane resin proprietary.

Does anyone have a tin of the polyacrylic to coat to see if it says anything specifically on that tin about spraying?

Many thanks

I almost wet myself laughing reading it the 1st time. :lol:

Most stuff can be sprayed as Richard pointed out with air albeit HVLP. Have you tried the supplier for datasheets? I've sprayed Sikkens and the can doesn't say anything about it, but their data sheets (on the web) do.

Latest posts

Back