Spraying Paint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Snettymakes. First of all the main question.
What type of gun are you using siphon cup (below) gun or a gravity fed cup (above) gun? If your using a gravity fed gun like the type you mostly see car sprayers use you can use thicker paint as gravity is helping it to feed. If it's a siphon cup gun you'll have to thin your paint down more to enable it to be pulled upwards by the Venturi (suction) effect to feed it. Thicker paint (more solids) you can achieve a good finish with less coats but you may encounter an orange peel finish if the paint is too thick as it doesn't flow enough before it dries or another reason is your drying room temperature is too hot. You can sometimes eliminate orange peel if you see it forming by applying another diluted coat on top. Thinner paint (diluted to enable the Venturi to work) thinned with with water or solvent accordingly. This paint flows freely as there is less resistance or drag because there's fewer solids being carried. You may need more coats to achieve a good coverage once all the solvent has evaporated. Also because it's thinner/runnier it's more likely to create runs or sags on vertical surfaces as it takes longer to dry. You could try increasing the drying room temperature to accelerate the drying process so the paint skins over quicker. Also I use 220 grit at first followed by 320 grit it's all I've used even for high gloss sheen finishes. If you de-nib with too fine a paper at first it doesn't cut the larger high spots off as fast or at all so it's taking you longer to flatten it prior to the next coat of paint. That's my hands on layman's terms of explaining. Hope this helps. Tony

Latest posts

Back