Spray painting new radiator

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azk404

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a brand new bent radiator that I want to spray a different colour and just wanted to get some tips to check if my plan is right. Minimal effort would be preferred tbh :)

This is a brand new radiator straight from a factory made from steel. It has had its final paint likely to be a top coat enamel? paint but I cant seem to confirm this.

Do I need to sand it down if its brand new or should I just clean it, very lightly brush it with some scotch bright for example and then spray with heat resistant rad paint?

Cheers
E

Git it a very light sand with 320 emery paper, wash it off with hot soapy water and rinse. Leave to dry and give a light coat of etch primer and then paint and it will be fine

If you want absolute minimal effort get it powder coated - you'll find they can match virtually any colour paint and you should end up with a flawless smooth finish over the entire surface

If you spray it yourself, then consider Bedec MSP. They have good customer service dept who can advise specifically on your need.
I have used it very successfully on uPVC windows and wood. Can't give first hand experience on radiators, but they specifically mention that in their literature

Git it a very light sand with 320 emery paper, wash it off with hot soapy water and rinse. Leave to dry and give a light coat of etch primer and then paint and it will be fine

I'm not convinced that etch primer would be a good idea over existing paint.

Minimal effort would be preferred tbh :)

Minimal effort and paint tend not to work well together.

If it were mine id lightly abrade, and epoxy, then top coat with whatever you have breathing kit for.

Or pay someone to powder it, but they will want to blast it first and that will be more money.

Or, if you just want an instant job that you know won't last, get your rattle cans out and have at it.

Ps.

Those heat resistant paints -

Be aware that a lot of them need high temperature to properly cure, and, if you're running your rads at, say, 65c, that will probably be lower than the cure temp of the paint, and it will stay weak.

They're generally for much hotter things. Radiators generally are not that hot at all, on the scale of things.

Rubbing it down is asking to go through to the metal in places, I think I would just go over it with something like a green pan scrub then rattle can it. Ian

I used the dregs of a rattle can of appliance white to retouch a rusty radiator it softened when the rad got warm and stuck to the sofa. I guess if high temperature paint doesn't heat cure properly that may happen to you. I bought a new radiator something I should have done first.

Powder coating is definitely the way to go. Anything else that will do the job properly and keep its colour isn't really practical to use at home, unless you have a proper booth, breathing kit and an oven to cure it.

I can recall spray painting our old school radiators 20 years ago and I was adviced by the supplier to start the process with them upside down.........

Etch primer is only useful on bare metal: the factory finish is all that is needed under whatever final finish you wish to apply.

Thanks for all the replies. So in the end I rubbed it down very lightly with very light sand and a some of scotch bright type abrasive pads just too rough it up a bit. I didn't prime it as I wasn't planning to rub it down so much to show bare metal, which was the main thing I was worried about as that would cost a lot of time and work.

It all had to be done in a bit of a rush as our plumber was coming in 2 days so I ended up using an air compressor spray gun (first time us using it so that was a bit of a risk) and some radiator paint from Paints 4 Trade - Radiator Paint | 100's Of Colours | paints4trade.com.

Worked out pretty well if I don't say so myself :) First coat went on great but for the second coat I didn't quite get the paint / thinner mix quite right as the spray came out ever so slightly bumpy or with the orange peel effect I've learnt. definitely a great tool but needs some practice.

Attachments

• IMG_3007.jpeg
    IMG_3007.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3009.jpeg
    IMG_3009.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3008.jpeg
    IMG_3008.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 20
Back