Spray kit recommendations ( walls and cabinets )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry if you've already mentioned this elsewhere MikeJhn, but which tip do you use for emulsion?
All accords to manufacturer and the viscosity of their particular product, you will have to experiment with a bit of dilution, don't try to spray emulsion without dilution it will splatter everywhere, also do ensure its filtered, I used to filter at least twice on all finish's. In the end I never used a viscosity cup, far too messy, the feel of the paint should be somewhat like single cream, try, dilute more or less and try again, I would hang a bit of cardboard on the barn door and just try it out until I found the correct dilution, them indelibly write what I found on the paint tin.

The splatter shown in your post should not happen at all, I would suggest the paint was not mixed properly, you can't just constantly say I was in a bit of a rush, spraying correctly takes time and effort, give yourself a break and slow down.

The bubbles on the pine test piece may be contaminates on the timber, all timber needs at least a wipe down with a tac rag and a bit of de-contaminating and sanding before spraying.

Last edited:
All accords to manufacturer and the viscosity of their particular product, you will have to experiment with a bit of dilution, don't try to spray emulsion without dilution it will splatter everywhere, also do ensure its filtered, I used to filter at least twice on all finish's. In the end I never used a viscosity cup, far too messy, the feel of the paint should be somewhat like single cream, try, dilute more or less and try again, I would hang a bit of cardboard on the barn door and just try it out until I found the correct dilution, them indelibly write what I found on the paint tin.

The splatter shown in your post should not happen at all, I would suggest the paint was not mixed properly, you can't just constantly say I was in a bit of a rush, spraying correctly takes time and effort, give yourself a break and slow down.

The bubbles on the pine test piece may be contaminates on the timber, all timber needs at least a wipe down with a tac rag and a bit of de-contaminating and sanding before spraying.
Thanks MikeJhn. This time around hasn't been rushed at all; I've been experimenting for a few hours and used a lot of card and scrap, but it seems any combination of tip (1.4 and 1.8mm)/air/paint settings and technique doesn't eliminate the splatter. That would point to the paint maybe being the issue.

I've also been trying to learn the consistency rather than just use the viscosity cup and have been aiming for the paint to not leave any 'worms' on the surface when running off the silicon stirring stick. This approach worked well with the Zinsser and I didn't measure it in the cup at all after getting used to the consistency.

This paint has been thinned 20% and still looks a bit thick, is it normal to thin more than that? The only information I can find from Johnstones just says 'it can be sprayed' and that a first coat on new plaster should be thinned 10%. I can't find anything about limits to thinning.

I noticed as I filtered it into the spray gun that it almost looked like it was separating into its constituent colours, so you could be right about it not being mixed sufficiently also being an issue.

Next steps I guess would be to filter it again and try thinning further.

If it looks as though its separating when being poured, then its definitely not mixed sufficiently, How old is this paint?

I would try spaying the paint without thinning and work up from there, one other thought is are you spraying with the gun upright or inclined, it could be the non return valve is full of paint, do you have the guard in place on the bottom of the gun to help prevent this, and a filter on the feed pipe in the gun?

Hi H-Magic.
I've used my vintage Aerograph (DeVilbiss) pressure pots for large areas and small areas including walls, boats, furniture and small
single components since 1983. They have been very versatile with little outlay apart from the usual wear and tear. I got them out of
a skip/dumpster back in 1983 when the firm I once worked changed to Kremlin air assisted pumps. I thought about changing but a
lot of outlay at the time. Pots aren't temperamental and are easier to clean if contaminated. That's why I still have them today. Tony

I've currently got a gun and comp. Set up, but if my comp. dies I'll be looking at the Graco gxff, I've heard allot of good things about it from various people
I’ve just finished redecorating a large 4 bed where all the ceilings were plastered over artex. All ceilings mist coated, then three coats neat emulsion, every wall white emulsioned before final 2 top coats of coloured. This using the Graco GXFF. A superb piece of kit, 12x25ft ceiling, mist coat 4 minutes, 5 minutes per finish coat. Wall areas same time. With a dust sheet can be used in redecorating occupied rooms fir ceilings, but top coats on walks all done with roller.

I’d never sell the Graco.

I would try spaying the paint without thinning and work up from there

I wish I had tried this sooner! This evening I sprayed some Cuprinol Garden Shades without any thinning with the 1.8mm tip and it was no problem. Still learning how to get the pattern/air combination right but the mini mite had no problem atomising it. Thanks MikeJhn!

If it looks as though its separating when being poured, then its definitely not mixed sufficiently, How old is this paint?

I would try spaying the paint without thinning and work up from there, one other thought is are you spraying with the gun upright or inclined, it could be the non return valve is full of paint, do you have the guard in place on the bottom of the gun to help prevent this, and a filter on the feed pipe in the gun?

The paint was new.

I don't have a filter on the airline from the turbine, if that's what you mean? There is a filter in the small airline that goes into the cup, and that looks fine but I've got no reference really. It seems to be spraying fine and I think I have just been overthinking the thinning and underestimating the 4 stage and larger tips.

Filter on the pick up tube in the pot, non return valve between pot and gun, diaphragm at the top of the pot to prevent paint getting into the air tube from the top of the pot and gun.

Hi all,
Just reviving this quickly.... I'm now at the point of ordering the graco gx21ff..... what do i need to get in addition? Sounds like pump armour is important and on the sprayman site, they recommend upgrading to a manifold filter ( 175 quid )
What did you guys do?
Thanks, kev

Filter on the pick up tube in the pot, non return valve between pot and gun, diaphragm at the top of the pot to prevent paint getting into the air tube from the top of the pot and gun.
Ah, understood. I've got the G-Xpc gravity fed gun which doesn't have a filter.

Hi all,
Just reviving this quickly.... I'm now at the point of ordering the graco gx21ff..... what do i need to get in addition? Sounds like pump armour is important and on the sprayman site, they recommend upgrading to a manifold filter ( 175 quid )
What did you guys do?
Thanks, kev
I had a Graco airless pump (ST Max II 495). It came with a little bottle of pump armor, but the machine needed more - from memory about 3/4 litre(?) and I was rather put off by the price of it. I ended up using white spirit - this was based on some recommendation I had seen (I think it was US, so they were talking about mineral spirits) - I added a bit of blue paint brush cleaner just so I could identify when clear water was coming through when flushing it.
Anyway, it sat like that for a few years before I sold it - the machine seemed to function fine when we fired it up and the buyer was happy.

I should have taken the same care with the airless gun, that got a bit of internal corrosion, now fixed.

The whole rigmarole of putting in and flushing pump armor was one of the things that put me off using the machine much and so when I was looking for an AAA set up, and was originally thinking of modifying the Graco, I was persuaded to get a Wagner diaphragm pump (Cobra 4010) that doesn’t need pump armor etc (I think/hope).

Anyway, I hope you will share how you get on with the Graco ff.

Cheers

Hi all,
What did you guys do?
Thanks, kev
Also, does this come with a hopper as standard? If not, I would want one.

Cheers

I have an Earlex HV5000 system that I've used to spray speaker cabinets and the like, the paint I used was Morrels 2 part so fairly viscous stuff however with a 1mm needle as opposed to the as supplied 1.5mm it gives a good finish. I've not used it yet for emulsion but I would imagine it would handle that fine given that is a lot thinner - with careful surface prep you can get quite a fine finish -
front-2.jpg

Attachments

• close-up.jpg
    close-up.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 0
I recently picked up a second hand Graco ultra max on eBay for £350. I’ve sprayed a few small projects and I’m liking it so far. When I got it it didn’t work well, lots of splatters and stopping spraying. I bought a replacement o-ring for the cup and some fine filters and now it works great. It turns out to be really easy to clean which is a nice bonus.

Thanks for the replies....

Yes, inside, outside, upside down 😆🤣 last summer my brother sprayed a shipping container in grey. He picked a day with minimal wind. There was virtually nothing noticeable anywhere apart from on the container.
He has a big compressor.

In terms of cost, its definitely cheaper with a roller because ive got 3 already, but once masked up, you can single coat a whole house interior in 3 hours..... so do 2 coats of white and youve got a great base for final colour on walls, ceilings done..... with a smooth flat finish. If you tried to roller fast, you end up with tramlines, inconsistent stipple etc and require a good denib. I wouldnt do colour on walls with spray ( firstly because its harder to patch in and 2nd because id have to mask up the ceilings etc )

Ive got a fan which i set up aiming out the workshop door for spraying, it lightly pulls air towards it, some sheeting over important kit, but ive used my lvlp gun without much paint hanging in the air 🤷‍♂️ certainly nothing settling on my kit
Anything you don't do!!

Anything you don't do!!
I dont do electrics or plumbing for customers and it's very rare i do any plastering. Im quite good at small areas but i struggle with larger bits and ceilings ( not had much practice and i dont want to either 😅 )

To be fair, I mostly do what i can myself so that i dont have to rely on other people, either for quality, or timing. A great example is my current job, i have a guy plastering the majority of the house on his own, but there are a couple of big areas that require 2 or 3 plasterers together. I organised some guys ive known for years ( probably nearly 20 years ) and they let me down 3 times in a row so ive replaced them. But its holding me up.
Id love to find another carpenter to work with who is careful, working on my own can be a bit tough at times...... but ive got my brothers genie lift, which is a great help

Attachments

• 20230217_130936.jpg
    20230217_130936.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230113_113426.jpg
    20230113_113426.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221129_090333.jpg
    20221129_090333.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Ooooooo, its like xmas! Just arrived, quick delivery 😁
Ive even got a baseball cap and pen and a paint tin opener 🙃