Spray kit recommendations ( walls and cabinets )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For Spraying walls and render stay away from compressor setup you will struggle to get the paint out.

Use something like a Fuji 5 or even compressor and gun for banister or even door frames and door but you won’t be able to do walls.

At your budget consider getting a Graco GX21ff second hand they pop up ever so often on market place or eBay.
the GX21ff has got the power of the GX21 but with a hopper and also two different hose size one for walls and one for doors and skirt.
you don’t want to load up the hose full of paint which you ain’t going to use plus it allows less product to come through so more control.
If you get a cheap gx21 then might worth

The handheld graco that Peter Millard uses is meant for touch up or small areas like skirting board and door frames usage and not for full cabinet coverage. Hence why the pumps always failed.

i looked into Wagner 350 but noticed a lot of people had issues and there were not as robust as the graco unless you go into there SF range but then it’s £££.

Have a look at the Fuji Quart pot, on my four stage Fuji no need for an extra compressor worked without a problem, eight coats on four wardrobe doors 2.4M x 0.600M, budget is probably your biggest problem.

Apologies if this is hijacking the thread, I can start another if required. I'm looking for a setup that would be good for primarily painting cabinets and furniture pieces, and very occasionally painting internal walls and skirting boards, and perhaps some outdoor furniture and a shed. Would something like a Fuji mini mite 4 platinum with the quart pot would be a good option?

If you’re looking at internal walls, I don’t think hvlp is an ideal technology for this — airless tends to be the choice there.

If you’re looking at internal walls, I don’t think hvlp is an ideal technology for this — airless tends to be the choice there.

I think my priority is to get the best type of machine for spraying the stuff I'm making, that might also do internal painting - at least on trim work where I rather dislike the finish I get with brushes- even if it is with some compromises during use. It would only be in our own home so I'm ok with it taking a bit longer but I won't be able to buy two separate machines. Is hvlp generally the way to go for spraying paint on cabinets and such, or could airless do that in addition to the internal work?

Whether the Mini Mite 4 would work well is down to what paint/varnish you want to spray, my Q4 has done all I have asked from it, from pre-cat lacquer too emulsion.

DSC01455.jpeg

Whether the Mini Mite 4 would work well is down to what paint/varnish you want to spray, my Q4 has done all I have asked from it, from pre-cat lacquer too emulsion.View attachment 134454
That's a good point Mike, a result like your wardrobe doors is what I'm after. I'm relatively new to making and painting, and so far have only used Zinsser 123 and Johnstone's Aqua Satin and I was dissatisfied with the results using a roller and a brush. I've got a lot of painted furniture projects for the house coming up and would like to try lacquer too. We've only painted one room in the house so far and used Johnstone's hard wearing matt, and outside (which might be a stretch) is Cuprinol Garden Shades although the quality of finish hasn't been a problem here, just the speed of using a brush.

I understand that the very best approach is a machine specific to each job but can't stretch to getting more than one machine, so I'm looking for something that will be great for furniture, but could with some compromises help out with decorating too.

Last edited:
I stained an outdoor wood store with a cheap paraffin gun and a compressor. Messy but works well for that sort of rough work and cheap as chips. I used an outdoor spirit based stain so it was quite thin from the tin and just sprayed straight on.

Apologies if this is hijacking the thread, I can start another if required. I'm looking for a setup that would be good for primarily painting cabinets and furniture pieces, and very occasionally painting internal walls and skirting boards, and perhaps some outdoor furniture and a shed. Would something like a Fuji mini mite 4 platinum with the quart pot would be a good option?
I bought a ANI 160Q from soraygunsdirect who were very helpful - I already had about 130 quids worth of compressor. It works very well for trim, windows, Joinery etc. It won't work for emulsion. So for that, I bought a wagner 350m airless - I haven't used it yet. Looking at the Internet reviews it seems probable it will make a decent job of trim also. The problem I think is that small jobs are not worthwhile because of the cleaning and the volume of paint in the pipe. I might be wrong on this after I bought an additional 7.5m line
Hope this helps

Ps I'll be using the wagner to spray some doors and a window this week so if you remind me I'll give you an uodate

I bought a ANI 160Q from soraygunsdirect who were very helpful - I already had about 130 quids worth of compressor. It works very well for trim, windows, Joinery etc. It won't work for emulsion. So for that, I bought a wagner 350m airless - I haven't used it yet. Looking at the Internet reviews it seems probable it will make a decent job of trim also. The problem I think is that small jobs are not worthwhile because of the cleaning and the volume of paint in the pipe. I might be wrong on this after I bought an additional 7.5m line
Hope this helps

Ps I'll be using the wagner to spray some doors and a window this week so if you remind me I'll give you an uodate
Thanks Istrickl. That was one of the considerations about the airless systems like that: the amount of paint required in the lines and for smaller jobs (which most of mine might be) that could start to be annoying. I don't have a compressor and so far wouldn't have any other need for one so that would add to the setup.

There seem to be mixed reports of using an hvlp spray gun for emulsion, with some saying that with the right needle/air cap size and the right thinning it can work, and others saying it doesn't.

In the end, I got a bit impulsive and ordered a Fuji Mini Mite 4 as it was about 10% off. Haven't had a chance to use it yet beyond spraying some water on the patio but fingers crossed it works out ok!

Hope this helps

How did it go???

Thanks Istrickl. That was one of the considerations about the airless systems like that: the amount of paint required in the lines and for smaller jobs (which most of mine might be) that could start to be annoying. I don't have a compressor and so far wouldn't have any other need for one so that would add to the setup.

There seem to be mixed reports of using an hvlp spray gun for emulsion, with some saying that with the right needle/air cap size and the right thinning it can work, and others saying it doesn't.

In the end, I got a bit impulsive and ordered a Fuji Mini Mite 4 as it was about 10% off. Haven't had a chance to use it yet beyond spraying some water on the patio but fingers crossed it works out ok!
Great, update us once youve tried it 👍

As per title..... im looking into spray options. I have a little lvlp gun and 25ltr compressor, which can do a drawer front without stopping, but a 600 x 720h door is pushing its luck!

Ive got a bungalow refurb with full loft conversion and extension to do, plus will have new exterior render.... so ivwas thinking about getting a sprayer to make everything white before fitting flooring and skirtings etc.... so something capable of doing a house, but also that can be used to spray built in cabs and doors etc.

I have done a search on here and have been looking on google and there just seems to be too many options. Im looking at 600 to 800 quid, seems to be quite a few options around that range.
I dont do enough to make it worth spending 3k.

It seems airless or air assisted are front runners, not really looking at hvlp with a big compressor.

What do you guys have?
Thanks, kev
As per title..... im looking into spray options. I have a little lvlp gun and 25ltr compressor, which can do a drawer front without stopping, but a 600 x 720h door is pushing its luck!

Ive got a bungalow refurb with full loft conversion and extension to do, plus will have new exterior render.... so ivwas thinking about getting a sprayer to make everything white before fitting flooring and skirtings etc.... so something capable of doing a house, but also that can be used to spray built in cabs and doors etc.

I have done a search on here and have been looking on google and there just seems to be too many options. Im looking at 600 to 800 quid, seems to be quite a few options around that range.
I dont do enough to make it worth spending 3k.

It seems airless or air assisted are front runners, not really looking at hvlp with a big compressor.

What do you guys have?
Thanks, kev
The fuji spray system works well for cabinets and general woodworking. There is a lot of set up time involved and I've found it's only worth it for batches e.g. kitchen doors etc. In addition there is the dangers of using solvent based products. Fuji do offer different spray fittings with the narrow 1.4mm for cabinetry. For emulsion, you will need the 2mm fitting.

Finally got to try the Fuji Mini Mite 4, although it was a bit of a rush. Using a GXPC gun with the supplied 1.4mm cap, spraying Zinsser Bullseye thinned just over 10% with water. I was quite pleased with the results for a first attempt, although the paint has dried with some bubbles, so any advice to avoid those welcomed. Sprayed onto some bare pine, I didn't finish the surface at all before spraying.

PXL_20220515_163259284.jpg

PXL_20220515_163228713.jpg.

The edge of where I sprayed.

PXL_20220515_163404589.jpg

Finally got to try the Fuji Mini Mite 4, although it was a bit of a rush. Using a GXPC gun with the supplied 1.4mm cap, spraying Zinsser Bullseye thinned just over 10% with water. I was quite pleased with the results for a first attempt, although the paint has dried with some bubbles, so any advice to avoid those welcomed. Sprayed onto some bare pine, I didn't finish the surface at all before spraying.

View attachment 135768

View attachment 135767.

The edge of where I sprayed.

View attachment 135769
Are the 'bubbles' unthinned paint? I.e not fully mixed?

To me that does look like paint solids rather than bubbles. Get yourself a viscosity cup and some paint filters to use before filling the guns pot. Bubbles would normally look like little impact craters ie hollow in the middle once dry.

Thanks all. I thinned the paint a few days ago but ran out of time so put it in a jar. Yesterday I gave the jar a quick shake (probably not a good idea), then strained the paint into the spray gun pot. I noticed that the strained paint had separated somewhat and there was some loose water on the surface but being in a rush I just cracked on with it. You're all right that it should have had a good stir before straining it.

While thinning the paint the other day I used the Ford #4 cup that came with the gun. It was running at 2 minutes but thought I would give it a go anyway to give me a baseline, and other than those bumps I think the results are ok?

I ran my finger over some of the bumps as the paint was drying and they did crater a little. I'll see if I can get another photo.

I tried again but this time giving it a good stir, and after a lot of experimenting on scrap and card, I've been quite pleased with the results. This is two coats of Zinsser Bullseye, again thinned nearly 10%.

PXL_20220619_210445985 (1).jpg

Now I'm stuck again but on the finish coat. The customer (my daughter) picked a colour from Johnstones, and I had hoped we might be able to use the rather large tester pot to complete the job. The tester is Covaplus Vinyl Matt. A bit optimistic perhaps, but I'm keen to experiment and test the boundaries of what is possible.

I thinned it by nearly 20%, which is probably too much, and it still ran at 2:30 in the Ford #4. Trying to spray with the included 1.4mm tip resulted in a lot of splatter, which I might have expected. I have now also tried the 1.8mm tip but that seems to have made little difference. Playing with the air, spray pattern and fluid amount improves but never really solves the problem. Am I destined to fail using this paint, or is there something else I can try to get it working?

I tested on the back of one of the panels, and the surface finish isn't too bad, if not a bit orange peel-y. But the splatter at the edges I expect will cause a problem with trying to blend different faces.

(testing on some card before spraying the panel)

PXL_20220622_210143691.jpg

(ignore the massive run at the bottom of the painted face, that was the Zinsser and I wasn't bothered as this isn't a show face)

PXL_20220622_210425593.jpg

Last edited:
To help with the spatter, start the gun spraying just before it gets to the edge and stop spray just after it passes the other side. As you move the gun use your shoulder rather than your wrist or elbow. So from having your upper arm against your body and your forearm parallel to the floor move your elbow out from your body while keeping the forearm level. When about 2" from the edge start to spray and release the same distance the other side. This way the spatter from the start/stop misses the piece and it gets a smooth flow of paint.

hth

To help with the spatter, start the gun spraying just before it gets to the edge and stop spray just after it passes the other side. As you move the gun use your shoulder rather than your wrist or elbow. So from having your upper arm against your body and your forearm parallel to the floor move your elbow out from your body while keeping the forearm level. When about 2" from the edge start to spray and release the same distance the other side. This way the spatter from the start/stop misses the piece and it gets a smooth flow of paint.

hth
Thanks Droogs. I think I've used that kind of technique with some success with the Zinsser, but the splatter at the edges with this paint has me worried about spraying anything other than a single flat surface. Once I start going round corners will this blend or just leave those big blobs. I could just try it I suppose and see what happens, but would like to avoid having to sand it all back again!

I'm wondering if it is possible to achieve that nice misted/feathered edge I got with the Zinsser with this paint? If so, any ideas what I can try next (more thinning, less thinning, bigger tip smaller tip, etc). New tips cost £65, and I've already bought one that didn't help so can't afford too much trial and error!

Latest posts

Back