Spray kit recommendations ( walls and cabinets )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plus the initial £700 cost. For that sort of money i'd much rather have one of the Fuji systems.

On that note. Has anyone experience of the Fuji mini-mite 3 platinum ?. Priced at £400. It's in my price range and im looking for something new to buy that i'll likely hardly use and need to find another spot for.
From the video I posted:
Gun 85
Regulator/filter 200
Mask 40
Hoses? 30

I'm assuming a compressor, as per OP? <£400 setup and available for future work, wood or house.

I've currently got a gun and comp. Set up, but if my comp. dies I'll be looking at the Graco gxff, I've heard allot of good things about it from various people

I have painted a few "whole houses" using a Graco airless system. It was +/- 1000 euros and you put the machine over the 10-20 litre tub of paint and could do a whole room without stopping. It's fine but the paint quality is still critical and filtering big tubs of paint is painful. I have a Fuji HVLP 4 stage system for painting cabinets etc and have used lacquer, water and oil based paints successfully. I would not be happy trying to paint a whole room with it though as the can on the gun is way too small. Since I don't do much of that sort of work anymore I have given the Graco to a friend and use a pole and a roller when I have to (reluctantly) paint any walls or ceilings. The HVLP is gathering dust in my virtually abandoned spray room. The last job I did with OSMO I used a brush! I would be interested to hear what you go with and how you get on.

This is a timely thread for me. I'll be painting the interior of our house this year and am looking for a suitable solution that would also work in my shop for cabinets and shelves. So far, I have not been able to find a one-size-fits-all sprayer for both tasks. Now I'm looking at a Graco GX 21 for the house interior and something like the Fuji Mini-Mite system for the woodworking.

My kit is nothing special - this Universal Sprayer W 690 FLEXiO - Paint spray system | WAGNER

I've found the type of paint makes a huge difference. Teknos aquaprimer and aquatop sprayed on to timber goes on really nicely, straight from the can, even though it is quite thick - it just seems to be designed for spraying. Tried some johnstons top coat and it just would not spray nicely - dry stipply surface - even though the paint seemed the same consistency. That's the limit of my experience!

Kremlin eos.

Ollie
I'll look 9t up, but i think we are boycotting russian related products 🤣
I have painted a few "whole houses" using a Graco airless system. It was +/- 1000 euros and you put the machine over the 10-20 litre tub of paint and could do a whole room without stopping. It's fine but the paint quality is still critical and filtering big tubs of paint is painful. I have a Fuji HVLP 4 stage system for painting cabinets etc and have used lacquer, water and oil based paints successfully. I would not be happy trying to paint a whole room with it though as the can on the gun is way too small. Since I don't do much of that sort of work anymore I have given the Graco to a friend and use a pole and a roller when I have to (reluctantly) paint any walls or ceilings. The HVLP is gathering dust in my virtually abandoned spray room. The last job I did with OSMO I used a brush! I would be interested to hear what you go with and how you get on.
Good info, thanks, did you whizz ot up with a paddle prior to using? I saw a vid where the guy just used the paint straight from the tub and he said he just accepts its going to block sometimes

This is a timely thread for me. I'll be painting the interior of our house this year and am looking for a suitable solution that would also work in my shop for cabinets and shelves. So far, I have not been able to find a one-size-fits-all sprayer for both tasks. Now I'm looking at a Graco GX 21 for the house interior and something like the Fuji Mini-Mite system for the woodworking.
The Fuji gun is perfectly able to spray Emulsion with a different needle and nozzle then a fine one for woodworking, I posted a full review of the different HVLP spray units I tried on the first page of this thread.

Ha ha, actually they are French I believe.

Just a quick point that almost all sprayers now are " HVLP" by law. This has more to do with the cap design than the method of material pumping or siphoning. A turbine or airless will both be hvlp.
I think the best system and most versatile is an air assisted airless. This gives you maximum control and versatility.
The addition of air assistance smooths out the "edges" of the spray pattern for a smoother overlap.
There are different methods even within aaa sprayers, kremlin is an air motor powered system but some are electric pumps with air assist.
The pressure at the tip of these machines is crazy and they will pump pretty much any paint without thinning it at all.
I have used lots of traditional gravity and siphon spray gear in the past but once you have tried air assisted airless you can't go back.

Ollie

Last edited:

Good info, thanks, did you whizz ot up with a paddle prior to using? I saw a vid where the guy just used the paint straight from the tub and he said he just accepts its going to block sometimes
Yes! The time wasted clearing blockages can almost make you wish you were using a brush!

The Fuji gun is perfectly able to spray Emulsion with a different needle and nozzle then a fine one for woodworking, I posted a full review of the different HVLP spray units I tried on the first page of this thread.
Thanks, Mike! Your reviews tipped the scales in favor of the Fuji system for the workshop.

Ok, does anyone have any experience with the wagner units? Im currently thinking it'll be a seperate unit for each task, not a one size fits all. For the most part the wagner units seem to do ok on reviews ( 250 control pro )
And probably a fuji for workshop based stuff. From mikes info, a q4 would be ideal, but as with everything, the good stuff costs. Im realising the budget idea of 800 is too low

Look on e-bay for the basic unit, I got hold of a Q4 for £400.00 I don't know if I was lucky, but it came with a full set of needles and nozzles and was in perfect condition, so mush so that I never used the new gun I bought just in case, the two quart pot I bought new from Axminster, makes spraying larger items a lot easier.

Personally speaking I’d call Mike at SpraymanUK, talk through what you’re trying to achieve and you can get some tailored advice. I’ve had some very good dealings with the team at sprayman and would recommend.

Anybody looked into using a gravity fed gun and compressor as used in car body shops, the finish is great and not a lot of money if you have a compressor. This will probably work better with the newer water based paints and there is a large range of cups and nozzles for the guns.

Anybody looked into using a gravity fed gun and compressor as used in car body shops, the finish is great and not a lot of money if you have a compressor. This will probably work better with the newer water based paints and there is a large range of cups and nozzles for the guns.
I used to use this sort of system but it is not really suitable for paints with any viscosity to speak of. And it also creates much more overspray.
It does produce a lovely finish with solvent based finishes and 2k car paints etc.
The problem is that most joinery coatings (especially water based ) are designed for a relatively thick film thickness per coat rather than many thin coats that flash off quickly between.
Some stuff has a consistency of jelly.
To push and atomise this type of paint requires very high pressure indeed. The nozzle pressure is over 100 bar.

So, I am not saying you can't use "traditional" spray stuff if you already had it. But, if buying something then get what you really need.

Ollie

I don't spray cars, and now days the F1 teams outsource to a company that use HVLP, well, certainly Mercedes, McLaren and Red Bull do.

I have long had a Fuji Q4 system and have been very pleased with it. I bought a wide range of nozzles, but have never used the largest (or the smallest, in fact) - I had intended to use that with emulsion, but I then bought a Graco Airless system that I only used for painting a few rooms - once you have masked up, the painting takes no time!. Subsequently I looked into converting the Graco airless kit to Air Assisted, but in the end bought a new Wagner AAA kit (Cobra 40-10 plus AAA gun) - this was extravagant but it is superb, although I am still at the learning stage of using this. I kept the Graco airless gun and have the option of using this with the Wagner pump in airless mode for room painting.

The thing is, and what I thought may be relevant to this thread debate, that I am undecided whether I want to keep the Fuji HVLP or not. For any larger sized job, the AAA is better, but for a small job, I find the Fuji to be simpler to set up (and clean). For the Fuji, I have 3M PPP cups that makes the system very nice to use and economical with a small quantity; the Wagner is fed from a 5 litre hopper which is economical compared to many airless kits and cleaning is likewise comparatively economical, but it still seems overkill to spray a chair, say.

Technically, the AAA kit will do everything, and probably better, but at the moment I am hanging on to the HVLP as well for the convenience factor.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back