Spray kit recommendations ( walls and cabinets )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldkev

Established Member
Reaction score
As per title..... im looking into spray options. I have a little lvlp gun and 25ltr compressor, which can do a drawer front without stopping, but a 600 x 720h door is pushing its luck!

Ive got a bungalow refurb with full loft conversion and extension to do, plus will have new exterior render.... so ivwas thinking about getting a sprayer to make everything white before fitting flooring and skirtings etc.... so something capable of doing a house, but also that can be used to spray built in cabs and doors etc.

I have done a search on here and have been looking on google and there just seems to be too many options. Im looking at 600 to 800 quid, seems to be quite a few options around that range.
I dont do enough to make it worth spending 3k.

It seems airless or air assisted are front runners, not really looking at hvlp with a big compressor.

What do you guys have?
Thanks, kev

spraying exterior render? you better make sure you have no neighbours within couple hundred yards!..... Can't really help on kit. I use a wagner HVLP set for spraying doors and window frames etc, but I sheet up in my workshop and the overspray still goes everywhere.

An HVLP would probably suite you the most such as the Fuji pro2 or minimite 4 within your budget. They come with a small turbine unit that weighs next to nothing really and is very easy to transport around.

I can understand the requirement to spray doors, cupboards, window frames (?) etc.

But the way the original post read was that you also planned to do walls and ceilings inside, and walls outside. There will be massive amounts of overspray inside (protective gear essential). Outside spraying risks paint mist spreading to parked cars and adjacent properties.

Painting before fitting floors and skirtings could make sense, but I would use a large roller and brush - fast, no need to cut in edges etc, no overspray - total cost of ~£20-30.

Thanks for the replies....

But the way the original post read was that you also planned to do walls and ceilings inside, and walls outside. There will be massive amounts of overspray inside (protective gear essential). Outside spraying risks paint mist spreading to parked cars and adjacent properties.

Yes, inside, outside, upside down 😆🤣 last summer my brother sprayed a shipping container in grey. He picked a day with minimal wind. There was virtually nothing noticeable anywhere apart from on the container.
He has a big compressor.

In terms of cost, its definitely cheaper with a roller because ive got 3 already, but once masked up, you can single coat a whole house interior in 3 hours..... so do 2 coats of white and youve got a great base for final colour on walls, ceilings done..... with a smooth flat finish. If you tried to roller fast, you end up with tramlines, inconsistent stipple etc and require a good denib. I wouldnt do colour on walls with spray ( firstly because its harder to patch in and 2nd because id have to mask up the ceilings etc )

Ive got a fan which i set up aiming out the workshop door for spraying, it lightly pulls air towards it, some sheeting over important kit, but ive used my lvlp gun without much paint hanging in the air 🤷‍♂️ certainly nothing settling on my kit

Id got through the first 5 or 6 of peters vids 👍 the graco looks cool for furniture, but 175 quid to fix it every 200ltrs seems a bit poor

Id got through the first 5 or 6 of peters vids 👍 the graco looks cool for furniture, but 175 quid to fix it every 200ltrs seems a bit poor
Plus the initial £700 cost. For that sort of money i'd much rather have one of the Fuji systems.

On that note. Has anyone experience of the Fuji mini-mite 3 platinum ?. Priced at £400. It's in my price range and im looking for something new to buy that i'll likely hardly use and need to find another spot for.
(Or maybe the semi pro 2 as that comes with a gun)

Last edited:
I’ve recently got the semi-pro 2 with the suction cup. I’ve used it a couple of times so far for water based eggshell and it’s a great bit of kit. Feels ‘quality’ and very little overspray.

I haven’t tried spraying lacquer or anything yet so can’t comment on that sorry.

I’ve recently got the semi-pro 2 with the suction cup. I’ve used it a couple of times so far for water based eggshell and it’s a great bit of kit. Feels ‘quality’ and very little overspray.

I haven’t tried spraying lacquer or anything yet so can’t comment on that sorry.

Does it burn through the paint quickly?
I guess those units are great for furniture etc, but i imagine youd need to refill it every couple of minutes on walls and ceilings. Maybe there isnt a 1 system fits all solution in my price bracket? 🤔

It does get through the paint quick, though hard for me to be scientific about that as I used up a fair bit having a play with the settings.

I wouldn’t even think about using it on walls or ceilings - I should have mentioned that I needed to thin the eggshell to spray (a bigger needle may sort that mind) so that would be a right faff for decorating, and it would take a while too I should think.

This may interest you: HVLP Sprayers investigation and review The greatest benefit of HVLP is the lack of overspray, almost all of the paint goes on the work piece as there is to all intents and purposes no bounce back, also the warm air from the gun helps the paint stick and go off quicker.

Last edited:
I guess those units are great for furniture etc, but i imagine youd need to refill it every couple of minutes on walls and ceilings. Maybe there isnt a 1 system fits all solution in my price bracket? 🤔
Have a look at the Fuji Quart pot, on my four stage Fuji no need for an extra compressor worked without a problem, eight coats on four wardrobe doors 2.4M x 0.600M, budget is probably your biggest problem.

Back