Spray kit recommendations ( walls and cabinets )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, today was the day! I finally tried it out....
Firstly, I'm learning so go easy 😆

I had to move stuff out the room and tidy up a bit ( next time the room has to be literally clear )
Next was masking the windows and rear sliders etc. I'd bought a load of q1 masking tape, brown roll, tps and stuff.... the q1 would not stick to the aluminium windows.... no chance. I had a part roll of standard eurocell tape which worked fine 😐
Anyways, that part roll didnt go far so i ended up having to go to town and get more. I bought a couple of types of hippo masking tape, worked fine.

I strained the paint, thinned it 25% for mist coating and sprayed a few vertical lines on the wall to see the pattern and adjust the pressure. The fine finish 517 tip runs on fairly low pressure so it was easy enough to get going.

# worth saying at this point, when im doing something new like this, i often get a bit blinkered and dont analyse whats happening until i settle into it.
This is obvious because to begin with, i was getting tramlines. I needed to be overlapping the coats, not running alongside each other.

In terms of the movement and start / stop of the flow, i have sprayed cellulose through hvlp a few times, so the action was ok.... i did manage to get a concentration of paint in one spot when i walked into something and didnt keep moving the gun, and i had to walk over a couple of stacks of plasterboard 🤣😆 seriously though, next time, I'm not having anything in the room, gotta be a clear run.

I did a second coat over a lot of it before i realised i didnt need to be using the mist coat mix for that 🤦‍♂️🙈 blinkers again....

It took me nearly an hour to clean the machine through, clean out the buckets and gun, put in pump armour etc. I didnt start spraying till 2.30ish, so next time It'll have to be a days worth of spraying! Mind you, its so damn quick once you are going.

As far as the finish goes, it's beautifully smooth. So far anyway 😆

Attachments

• 20230306_151209.jpg
    20230306_151209.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230306_151736.jpg
    20230306_151736.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230306_153849.jpg
    20230306_153849.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230306_155908.jpg
    20230306_155908.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230306_155926.jpg
    20230306_155926.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230306_181946.jpg
    20230306_181946.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
I recently picked up a second hand Graco ultra max on eBay for £350. I’ve sprayed a few small projects and I’m liking it so far. When I got it it didn’t work well, lots of splatters and stopping spraying. I bought a replacement o-ring for the cup and some fine filters and now it works great. It turns out to be really easy to clean which is a nice bonus.
That looks cool. Is it a traditional speaker setup with no cabinet with a sub woofer? What does it sound like? Cheers Tony

I have an Earlex HV5000 system that I've used to spray speaker cabinets and the like, the paint I used was Morrels 2 part so fairly viscous stuff however with a 1mm needle as opposed to the as supplied 1.5mm it gives a good finish. I've not used it yet for emulsion but I would imagine it would handle that fine given that is a lot thinner - with careful surface prep you can get quite a fine finish -
View attachment 153933
That looks cool. Is it a traditional speaker setup with no cabinet with a sub woofer? What does it sound like? Cheers Tony

As per title..... im looking into spray options. I have a little lvlp gun and 25ltr compressor, which can do a drawer front without stopping, but a 600 x 720h door is pushing its luck!

Ive got a bungalow refurb with full loft conversion and extension to do, plus will have new exterior render.... so ivwas thinking about getting a sprayer to make everything white before fitting flooring and skirtings etc.... so something capable of doing a house, but also that can be used to spray built in cabs and doors etc.

I have done a search on here and have been looking on google and there just seems to be too many options. Im looking at 600 to 800 quid, seems to be quite a few options around that range.
I dont do enough to make it worth spending 3k.

It seems airless or air assisted are front runners, not really looking at hvlp with a big compressor.

What do you guys have?
Thanks, kev
I love pressure pots. They are easy and cheap to maintain. I've used them for 39 years. Sorry vid doesn't contain a picture of the pot but I will be posting a vid on what I use shortly. Any questions? Tony

I love pressure pots. They are easy and cheap to maintain. I've used them for 39 years. Sorry vid doesn't contain a picture of the pot but I will be posting a vid on what I use shortly. Any questions? Tony

Hi Tony,
Ive used hvlp and lvlp through my compressor to spray cellulose in the past, but for a house ( which was my primary use for the setup ) an airless made sense, plus it has the hopper setup to convert to using smaller quantities of paint for built in furniture etc👍

Me again.....
Today i had my first bash at woodwork, some skirtings, architraves and a small built in bathroom unit.

I didnt do well.

I used a graco 310 ff lp tip, pressure at about 1400, which might be too high? And dulux trade quick dry undercoat, thinned 10% as recommended by the dulux sales guy.

I felt like i was moving wlquickly, but i still got runs on the linings < edit> runs on architraves, not actual linings. I shot from the back edge of the architrave into the corner ( joint with plaster ) and 2nd pass aiming into the lining and doorstop joint so i caught the other edge of the architrave, but on most architraves, i got runs 😔

Less pressure? Dont thin the paint? Move even quicker?
Don't get both edges of architrave?

Any helpful tips would be appreciated as i dont want to repeat my mistakes
Thank you

Last edited:
Quick update: tips still needed, but to recover the situation i used a green scourer pad and a touch of water to wet sand the runs when the main areas of architrave had dried ( its quick dry ) which saved the undercoat, then had a strong coffee....
Then i went over the woodwork in 3 rooms with satinwood, undiluted. This time i did all the back edges together, then did the skirtings and went back round the linings doing the 2nd shot once the 1st lot had flashed off. So far its looking ok.

I still managed runs on a t and g board and in the cupboard 😒
On the plus side, the skirtings and architraves are a win.

Nothing like learning on the job 🤠🤯

Now ive got to clean it through and pack up 😐

Attachments

• 20230405_181409.jpg
    20230405_181409.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230405_181426.jpg
    20230405_181426.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230405_181440.jpg
    20230405_181440.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230405_183727.jpg
    20230405_183727.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Quick update: tips still needed, but to recover the situation i used a green scourer pad and a touch of water to wet sand the runs when the main areas of architrave had dried ( its quick dry ) which saved the undercoat, then had a strong coffee....
Then i went over the woodwork in 3 rooms with satinwood, undiluted. This time i did all the back edges together, then did the skirtings and went back round the linings doing the 2nd shot once the 1st lot had flashed off. So far its looking ok.

I still managed runs on a t and g board and in the cupboard 😒
On the plus side, the skirtings and architraves are a win.

Nothing like learning on the job 🤠🤯

Now ive got to clean it through and pack up 😐
I prefer water based primer, it clings better. Thin only sufficiently for the spray gun to dispense it, if too orange peel effect, thin slightly more. Throttle back on paint delivery to the nozzle (turn the screw behind the trigger until the trigger pull is sufficient to allow a finer mist).
Forgive if I'm preaching to the converted

I prefer water based primer, it clings better. Thin only sufficiently for the spray gun to dispense it, if too orange peel effect, thin slightly more. Throttle back on paint delivery to the nozzle (turn the screw behind the trigger until the trigger pull is sufficient to allow a finer mist).
Forgive if I'm preaching to the converted
Thanks. I'll have to look tomorrow, but im not sure there is a screw behind the trigger? Ive got a graco airless, not hvlp or lvlp.....

Thanks. I'll have to look tomorrow, but im not sure there is a screw behind the trigger? Ive got a graco airless, not hvlp or lvlp.....
OK. There must be some method on the gun to regulate the volume out of the nozzle. If not, experiment with the thickness of the paint

OK. There must be some method on the gun to regulate the volume out of the nozzle. If not, experiment with the thickness of the paint
Theres a pressure setting, which has to be sufficient to give an even coverage without tails, and the changeable tips, which are different sizes of fan pattern and material viscosity.... so a 310 tip should equate to 6" wide pattern, 12 thou hole, for finishes. Or 515 is a 10" pattern and a 15 thou hole, for wall emulsion. It does throw out a lot of paint 🙃

Me again.....
Today i had my first bash at woodwork, some skirtings, architraves and a small built in bathroom unit.

I didnt do well.

I used a graco 310 ff lp tip, pressure at about 1400, which might be too high? And dulux trade quick dry undercoat, thinned 10% as recommended by the dulux sales guy.

I felt like i was moving wlquickly, but i still got runs on the linings < edit> runs on architraves, not actual linings. I shot from the back edge of the architrave into the corner ( joint with plaster ) and 2nd pass aiming into the lining and doorstop joint so i caught the other edge of the architrave, but on most architraves, i got runs 😔

Less pressure? Dont thin the paint? Move even quicker?
Don't get both edges of architrave?

Any helpful tips would be appreciated as i dont want to repeat my mistakes
Thank you
I sure you done some woodwork before?!!
A humble dovetail or something?!

Back