Spray gun suggestions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbartlett99

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Looking for a bit of expert guidance on buying my first (air supplied) gun. I'm initially wanting to spray a fair few panels with shellac so thats the first issue - they're 600mm x 720mm. There's such a huge variation in price/features that the mind boggles. I've used rattle cans & prevals before and am looking for a gun with the ability to spray various lacquers (not paint), variable spray size. Dare say I won't be using it all the time but the lat few projects have shown me that the sanding/finishing stage is where I need to speed up.

I've got an oil free compressor and all the protective gear etc just need the gun. So any afdvice on tip size and actual model/retailer would be much appreciated.

The cfm of your compressor is important as some hvlp need a lot of air.

I tend to like the sata 1000B gun it has a huge range of tip sizes

Ive heard the graco finex is pretty good.

You prob want a tip of around 1.3 to 1.6 for furniture finishing.

There are some good budget guns around

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-S701G-P ... B000ROF32Y

For most uses a gravity feed gun is best, this gun seems to be a bit of a copy of the SATA with similar controls.

I think a 50 litre tank will be the min size for a full size gun. You might find a mini gun would work on a small compressor, but they usually have tip sizes of about 0.8mm which will only atomise thin material.

The best way to start is to do spray outs, some biggish pieces of cardboard or even a roll of paper. One of the best things is a smooth plastic surface like white faced ply or chipboard like old kitchen cabinets. The smooth surface will show you if you have a nice fan pattern which has a full wet coat that flows out nicely without runs.

Looks similar to my budget gun, reviews are good.

It says maintneance tools supplied, but if you get one, buy yourself a few more filters (and make sure you fit it the right way round - the picture on that page shows it being inserted upside down... pointy bit goes in first :) ) they will help catch any bits you missed pre-filtering the paint / shellac.

Be fastidious with cleaning.,especially inside just before the tip- or you'll come to regret it.

It's also good practise to have a gun for each type of finish, so one for oil, one for waterbased and if you intend to use shellac, one for that too - but you can get away with one gun if you are FASTIDIOUS about cleaning :)

Air fed spraying is a great skill to have and will give you better, more consistent results than a rattle can, can; it's definitely a skill worth investing some time in.

Thanks guys. Its something I've been meaning to get into - add it to the arsenal if you like.

Morrells have a gun for 100 quid - I've got to go there tomorrow to pick up some stuff - anyone used any of their units?

I'm looking at getting the morrells gun aswell. Is it the signature 1 ?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

What was the reason for the morrells gun not being suitable? I was under the impression that it was a general all round good gun for most finishes ? Perhaps it's only suitable for their finishes because it has a 1.8mm tip ? I notice the gun you bought doesn't come in 1.8mm...... I was looking for an excuse to drive in and pick one up today - perhaps I need to do a little more research first.

Their tech said the mini gun was too small - just for detail - and the full size was more for full car panels. Talk to the fella from spraygunsdirect he went out of his way to advise me - apparently that the gun he recommends for furniture makers.

There was a really good set of vids pn youtube by an Austrailian guy called thegunman who did loads of reviews. Here's a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-3re8Z_NLw

mbartlett99":3re57nr9 said:
I talked to the guys at Morrells and in the end neither was going to be quite right. Ended up with one of these - https://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/index ... fZ9bl.dpbs - the guy there was super helpful and the reviews good.

Still haven't used it though as I dropped the shellac and went with osmo. Oh well it'll come in handy ....
You weren't joking when you said he was super helpful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -Spraygun and regulator ordered. I just wish I'd spoken to him years ago. Thanks for recommending them.

mbartlett99":gegqanaj said:
Their tech said the mini gun was too small - just for detail - and the full size was more for full car panels. Talk to the fella from spraygunsdirect he went out of his way to advise me - apparently that the gun he recommends for furniture makers.

There was a really good set of vids pn youtube by an Austrailian guy called thegunman who did loads of reviews. Here's a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-3re8Z_NLw

I've been watching some of those vids by The Gunman recently. Very useful, no BS approach.
Hope that ANI gun serves you well, you can pay an arm and a leg for a top spraygun so i looks great value.

Please let us know how it works out. I have a small compressor too and have been looking for an economical gun that will work at low airflows.

My new toys just arrived via ups.
4ccefbd2b8f25437666a69daf8846f57.jpg

Happy days, thanks again.

Back