Spot the difference - linisher

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
There is this one from Jet

310026_l.jpg

http://www.axminster.co.uk/jet-jet-oes- ... tomsection

and this one with the Axminster badge

700125_l.jpg

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... tomsection

Both oscillate. Same spec. Cosmetic differences. Yet the Jet is £900 and the Axminster £531

What am I missing?

I teach Technology in a secondary school, and we run both Axminster and Jet machinery. The price of Axminster own brand is most attractive, but the build quality is not as attractive as that of the Jet machinery. I am trying to be polite. Please read between the lines.

Colin

I bought the Axminster one just before Xmas and it is a cracking machine, before buying it I looked at the jet one at Norfolk Saws and whilst it appeared slightly heavier build and finer finish I didnt think the Jet justified the extra dosh.

Working to my "Five a Day" - Have an Apple (Phone), Orange (Contract) and Blackberry (Tablet) and now working in Cherry so 80% there! Just one to go!

Watch out it doesn't go all pear-shaped

Tim Nott":1zg5muwc said:
Working to my "Five a Day" - Have an Apple (Phone), Orange (Contract) and Blackberry (Tablet) and now working in Cherry so 80% there! Just one to go!

Watch out it doesn't go all pear-shaped
.???? :-k

RogerS":1kviutl2 said:
jimi43":1kviutl2 said:
Is it me or does the Jet have a much bigger motor?

Jim

Physically maybe but power-wise it is the oposite way round! 2.2kW (Ax) vs 1.9kW (Jet)

Means nothing, even if you pin them down on input/output, s1 s2 etc, it's all very subject to specsmanship (i.e. defining your definitions).

They look (potentially) very different to me, although photos can easily flatter to deceive which could narrow - or widen - the gap.

The Linisher arrived today.

First time I've had a Heavy Delivery from Axminster which went flawlessly. I was concerned about the fact that we have loose stone outside the workshop which is not ideal for trolleying stuff and so emailed Axminster ahead just to alert them. Graham (the driver) had it all sussed...excellent job.

Then the phrase 'Houston...we have a problem' sprang to mind. I didn't realise that it came in two bits. There is this bit

P1090277.jpg

which weighs this much

P1090278.jpg

and needs to be lifted onto this

P1090282.jpg

and there's only me and LOL...no neighbours, no fellow workers. Acrow props, oak beam, shackles?

Remove the outer casing to see what can be removed

P1090279.jpg

and the cast iron table can come off. To cut a long story short, LOML and I struggled but we managed it.

Opening all the boxes and plastic bags revealed everything needed to get it all working. There are some obvious things like the mitre fence out of shot.

P1090283.jpg

Everything, that is, apart from an installation manual. There is a very poor and laughable user manual. But nothing to say how it all goes together. Nothing on Axminster's website either. Spoke to Technical who offered to help if I sent some digital images of the bits I was unsure of ....which is helpful...but come on, guys.....your customers should not have to play guessing games and 'Where does this bit go?'. And that is ignoring wasted time waiting for a reply. But we got there...sort of..in the end.

This was the last bit that I couldn't see where it should go.

P1090290.jpg

The photos in the user manual are...um..well...not exactly helpful. But with the aid of a magnifying glass and some time spent poring over the exploded parts diagram, it turns out that it fixes to the top and stops you letting any wood disappear into where the motor is.

OK...first impressions....in comparison with the Jet, as far as I can see, it comes with spring assists on the cast-iron table which is rather good. Testing the flatness of the cast-iron table it is reasonable...it dips in the middle slightly by about 0.3mm and I'm not that fussed. It's a sander at the end of the day. Of more concern to me is whether the belt is consistent at 90 degrees to the table across it's length...which it is...just about..it's slightly out right on the extreme left hand end but only by a very very small smidgeon and nothing to worry about.

The Linisher comes with a small cast iron table that fits on a spigot at the end of the machine so you can use it as a drum sander. Frankly, Axminster need not have bothered as it's so far out of true. Put it upside down on the main bed and it rocks ...noticeably. It also dips in the middle by 0.7mm. Junk. I'm not that fussed as I will probably never use it. Maybe the Jet one is flat?

So far, so good. Turn it on..it goes whirly whirly and up and down. The belt stays true and so the machine has been set-up with the right tension. It will sand.

What else? I've saved the best 'til last. The dust extraction unit. Whoever designed the fixing of it should be taken away somewhere quiet and told to go and get another job. It is rubbish. No, it redefines rubbish. It is totally pants. It is a flimsy bit of metal..with no structural strength. It has only one fixing point at the back which means that the front is unsupported and totally reliant on the stiffness of the unit to stop it fouling the sanding belt. But it has no stiffness and so it fouls the belt.

P1090289.jpg

This is further compounded by where the outlet pipe is..at the side. So the heavy extraction pipe is going to try and drag the unit downwards, thus forcing the unit even harder into the sanding belt. As it stands IT IS USELESS. :evil: The phrase 'NOT FOR FOR PURPOSE' springs to mind. Certainly you cannot use this as it stands. But why should the customer have to dream up something? That will waste a day trying to make the bloody thing useable. Either that or remove it completely and have no dust extraction. Great idea. :evil:

Anything else...the thread for the handle that you use when moving the motor/belt assembly to the required angle is graunched and so you can't get the knob on it. No easy way to run a die on it as it is too close to the main assembly. You can see that it looks to have had some 'action' done to it as the thread is now unpainted.

P1090287.jpg

P1090295.jpg

And lastly the door lock on the cabinet has to be the cheapest, nastiest, most obnoxious, 'every time you use it you want to throw up or take a cold chisel to it' on the planet. Lots of nice nasty edges to cut you thrown in for good measure.

So...summary....disappointed. 6/10

I am amazed that you would only give this machine 6/10 :shock: :shock:

I bought one myself just before Xmas and whilst i agree that the instructions are rubbish the machine itself is far from that. I also found that if you trap the dust guard for the extraction behind the rear belt guard that actually it is very rigid and using a high air flow extractor is quite effective as the belt tends to pull the dust towards the extraction cowl.

I fully agree that the catch on the door is poor but in my opinion it is how the machine performs and I can truly say that I have no reason to be unhappy with mine.

If you feel that strongly about it I suggest you pack it up and send it back!

Dodge":sa1ysi4i said:
..... I also found that if you trap the dust guard for the extraction behind the rear belt guard that actually it is very rigid .....

That's the only way to fix it, surely? There's that single knob that holds it. I tried undoing the knob holding the rear belt guard at the motor end and sliding the dust guard under that as well but then found that it fouled the knob on the top...I guess I could grind some off but why should I have to? My solution is going to be a bit of wood to wedge up underneath the dust guard and some silicon to hold it there.

RogerS":13f1rdul said:
So...summary....disappointed. 6/10

Yes but hopefully you are starting to realise that just because 2 machines look similar there are differences.
Don't buy cheap.
I love my jet :lol: :lol: :lol: It also came delivered in one piece.

Back