Spoon Carving Knife

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry can't help as I make my own, but it does look a good curve so it should work well..

Pete

Thanks Pete.
I agree about the curve. Robin Wood sounds as if he knows what he is talking about, but all sellers do don't they? Still it is high on my list.
xy

I have that knife. do you want to borrow it and give it a test out for a month? I am not going to be using it in that time.

I haven't used it much, and have nothing to compare it to. it seemed to work nicely though.

Crikey marcros that is a very generous of you. Yes please I would like to take you up on the offer I'll pm details.
xy.

Racers":3ahbnn73 said:
Sorry can't help as I make my own, but it does look a good curve so it should work well..

Pete

After seeing some Pete made, I made one.
It's quite easy.
I used a blunt jigsaw blade.
Grind and put an edge on (one side only).
Use mapp torch to bend and harden in one go.
Temper in the kitchen oven after you have cooked the Sunday roast.

lurker":oc550wj2 said:
Racers":oc550wj2 said:

Pete

After seeing some Pete made, I made one.
It's quite easy.
I used a blunt jigsaw blade.
Grind and put an edge on (one side only).
Use mapp torch to bend and harden in one go.
Temper in the kitchen oven after you have cooked the Sunday roast.

lurker, thanks for that.
I must admit I keep leaning gently towards making my own cutting tools. Short of making a few small knives from jigsaw blades I have managed to keep clear of the practice.
I am not really ready for the extra commitment, small as it is.
As seen above marcros, gent that he is, is seeing to my present need. Perhaps when I have examined the knife, and its use then I may reconsider.
xy

Robin makes good knives, and quick and easy to sharpen compared to some of the others out there. Remember to sharpen mainly on the outside bevel and only very finely hone and polish on the inside bevel. The inside of the blade needs to be kept as flat as possible. I have noticed that the convex back of the knife can sometimes be a little too flat so on deeper bowls the blade can chatter. If this happens then hone a slightly steeper bevel on the back or buy a knife with more of a sweep to it or make a bigger bowl. Spoon knives are like gouges, one will not cut all the different sizes, depths etc that we would like it too.

Sean, El Barto, Sorry for the tardy response.
I am no expert but I am beginning to realise the quality of this knife. Very kindly lent by marcros.
The handle looked as if it could be on the narrow side, I do tend to favour fat handles, but in use it is comfortable.
Sharpening, this knife, is something I am just getting into. I am following Robin's guide which I believe is known as 'scarey sharp' by some. My first foray into this sharpening process. I have to say it is easy to maintain a flat bevel and my mora knife has benefitted. Now to teach my muscles how to sharpen this particular shape.
Thank you both for your input. I can see that I shall be putting this spoon carving knife on my wish list.
xy

Back