Spokeshaves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim burr

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Ok I'm in the market for a decent spokeshave, I'm currently muddling through with a forge steel/screwfix special but I'm getting a little fed up with it :?

I am sorely tempted by a veritas spokeshave but I can't quite bring myself to spend the best part of £80-90 for one :shock:

I've also been wondering about the quangsheng boggs style shave that is available but I'm a bit unsure about the adjustment on them, does anyone have one or the Lie Nielsen version and what are peoples opinions of them?

Any other suggestions or opinions will be gratefully received :)

Many thanks

I recently purchased one of the Quangsheng Stainless Steel spoke shaves from Workshop Heaven

It is a fantastic piece of kit and I am very pleased with it and would strongly recommend it.

Older Stanley 151 or Record are excellent and very cheap on ebay. Can be had for £5 to £10.

Jacob":2705e3j7 said:
Older Stanley 151 or Record are excellent and very cheap on ebay. Can be had for £5 to £10.

I actually sold my old stanley spokeshaves after getting the QS as i could never get the stanleys to hold their edge like the QS does. A member of this parish can confirm this because he bought them!

Dodge":3n2ez9dq said:
Jacob":3n2ez9dq said:

I actually sold my old stanley spokeshaves after getting the QS as i could never get the stanleys to hold their edge like the QS does. A member of this parish can confirm this because he bought them!

Is it T10 steel Dodge?

Jim

Hi,

You need to get some of the old wooden spoke shaves, they work a lot better than the chattery stanley/record ones. I sold my record and stanley shaves.
The Hock spokeshave blade is very nice and you can buy it as a kit with all the hard work done.
http://www.classichandtools.com/cgi-bin ... H_2dKSP062

Pete

Dodge":187r2vpf said:
I actually sold my old stanley spokeshaves after getting the QS as i could never get the stanleys to hold their edge like the QS does. ....
Well they wouldn't, but they'd be quicker to hone. Not a prob if you have a simple sharpening regime (details on application :lol: )
And a lot cheaper.

Jacob":24hliyjd said:
Dodge":24hliyjd said:
I actually sold my old stanley spokeshaves after getting the QS as i could never get the stanleys to hold their edge like the QS does. ....
Well they wouldn't, but they'd be quicker to hone. Not a prob if you have a simple sharpening regime (details on application :lol: )
And a lot cheaper.

How do you hone T10 steel Jacob?

Jim

jimi43":2lg8p0p6 said:
Jacob":2lg8p0p6 said:
Dodge":2lg8p0p6 said:
And a lot cheaper.

How do you hone T10 steel Jacob?

Jim
Dunno. Is it different from ordinary steel? If it's difficult I'd suggest not using it.

Well I have tested it and it is easy to hone and holds a fine edge.

My tests on T10 steel are empirical and although I am a great fan of the older steels...particularly the very old Sheffield ones...this steel is quite impressive.

The A2 Veritas one I got for my modified Stanley was sharp and impressive but is a bugga to sharpen...I think that would need a modern "simple sharpening regime" based on ceramic stones or diamond to get back the edge.

The thickness makes it far more solid to feel...though you have to open the mouth on a standard shave...

DSC_0335.JPG

Of course if you want one that goes around corners the Millers Falls MF1 is a "challenge" which once mastered makes it one of the most versatile tools I have used....

DSC_0095.JPG

There are better ones for straighter shavings but for roundy bits and gentle curves....

DSC_0478.JPG

...this one takes a lot of beating! Mind you...you have to have a complex sharpening regime! :mrgreen:

Jim

Just for info Jacob: T10 is some kind of water hardening steel. Very simple in fact and close to the old fashioned W1. It can be hardened a little harder then O1 while retaining its toughness. In practice I don't feel really much difference between my QS T10 blade and a good quality O1.

My Record spokeshave has a Hock replacement balde. it is a bit thicker thus closing up the mouth. Good stuff.
I am not happy at all with my homemade Lee Valley wooden spokeplane. It is very finicky in use. Either it doesn't cut or it wants to take a deep bite. I think it is because there is too much slop in the wooden threads for the adjusting bush. Or it is just another error introduced by myself.

I have an L-N Boggs spokeshave and a smaller L-N brass one, both of which, to be honest I rarely use, reaching for Record 151's instead; no problems with the steel, easier to sharpen than A2 and £5 or less each.

But, as with everything, try a few and see what you prefer. Spokeshaves are cheap enough and easy to sell on with no loss if you don't get on with a particular design.

Latest posts

Back