Spokeshaves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Everyone needs a spokeshave or two, or three or eleven (actually twelve, I left one out!). I found when shaping curved surfaces on my rocking chairs that they were essential. I cannot say in all honesty that they were all essential but they all do different jobs and some perform better than others in doing them.
spokeshaves.sized.jpg

1. Lie-Nielsen flat
2. Lie-Nielsen curved
3. Stanley 67 curved
4. Millers Falls #1 Goodell cigar shave
5. Preston small curved shave
6. Woodjoy 5/8 inch shave
7. Veritas LA shave
8. Small Lie-Nielsen shave curved
9. Clifton concave shave
10 . Clifton convex shave
11. No-name stanleyalike flat shave

Numbers 1 and 2 the Boggs shaves are quite simply the best spokshaves I have ever come across. They have a deceptive simplicity as a result of a great design but their precision manufacture means they work brilliantly, both for very fine shavings but also for quite rapid stock removal

Number 3 works well and has a curved bottom with a tighter radius than the Boggs Number 2. Those who know this tool will ask if I have the flat bottom for it - unfortunately the answer is no. In fact I find the radious not vey different from the small LN shave Number 8 - which I prefer.

Number 4 Thanks to Alf suggesting it as suitable for small radii, I got this excellent tool. It took me a few gos to get it sharp (in fact easily done on the Tormek after a bit of head scratching) and also to get it set up so that it would cut without clogging - not difficult once you have figured it out.

Number 5 a very recent purchase with a small radius curve - works pretty well except the thin straight handles have a tendency to turn in my hands, making it difficult to keep the blade at the correct angle - I can prbably bodge a solution to this easily enough

Number 6 This is a new shave by Glenn Livingstone of Woodjoy - beautifully made metal bits, rather indifferent wooden handles but it works superbly well and gets in very tight spaces. The blade was super sharp out of the box - I haven't needed to sharpen it yet either.

Number 7 I do not like this Veritas shave at all - fussy to adjust, hard to use and generally poor results with it.

Number 8 Another masterpiece of simplicity beautifully engineered. Works like a dream in quite small radii

Number 9 I have hardly used this but quite useful for shaping biggish spindles and the like

Number 10 I use this for part of the work in hollowing seats. It can be used for surprisingly delicate work (in the context of a job like hollowing seats) despite the huge mouth.

Number 11 The first spokeshave I ever owned and the worst by a million miles. Most people probably get their introduction to spokeshaves with something like this and wonder why they can't make it work. The reason is simply that they are total rubbish and it is definitely not worth spending any time to try and make them work better when there are so many excellent tools available.

Chris,
Many thanks for your insights into your shave collection. If you had to choose just two which would you go for?
Nice Uber-gloat as well! :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D

an odd comment on number 11 - my first introduction to shaves was a modern stanley - convex sole though, not flat, and it works like a dream. Especially once I came up with a jig for sharpening.

Philly,

If I could only have two, they would be the Boggs flat sole and the Woodjoy - as offering the greatest range of possibilities among the excellent shaves.

Esp,
I don't know how modern a Stanley shave you are speaking of but I have looked at a few (brand new ones in the shops) recently to check my supposition that the modern Stanleys and similar were not well made and I have not found any that I would call halfway decent. And as I mentioned, with the availability of some very modern good shaves like the LNs, I see no reason to buy a poor one and spend ages fettling it. I guess you can always be lucky as you were.

Chris,
I agree with you as to modern Stanleys/Records. The worst tool I ever bought was a brand new Record spokeshave (from the Record stand at a show). It was without doubt the most appalling thing you have ever seen. The mouth was as wide as a bus and ground out of parallel. The bed was warped and the blade pivoted on two high points. Even after extensive tuning (a la Boggs in FWW) it was still a pile of poo.
Needless to say it was replaced pretty quickly-I bought two from an antiques shop. What a difference a few of decades makes!
regards,

I must have been very lucky then! only problem I ever have is the occasional tendency to choke, but that's only when I'm trying to take too deep a shaving - the mouth is pretty tight on the one I have.

Tsk. Not a woodie amongst them. Shame on you, Christopher. :p

The Woodjoy one looks interesting, and a new one on me. And it just goes to show doesn't it? You can't stand the Veritas and here's me who loves it. If you want to get rid of it I believe there'd be at least one interested party, btw. #11 looks a bit like the Made in China Stanley #52 knock-offs I see a lot of these days. Not a good shave. But the older Stanleys and Records shouldn't be dismissed out of hand by any means. I was using my Dad's sweetheart #51 just yesterday, and wondering why the new ones can't get such a simple design right. :(

So which one did you leave out then?

Cheers, Alf

Another interesting post Chris, keep 'em coming.

No surprise about the LNs but the veritas has had good reviews elsewhere and so I guess it is possibly down to preferences and experience?

My only shave is a modern Stanley that cost £7 brand spanking new. It is pretty awful though not in the same league as that infamousl Stanley low angle block I was conned into :evil: Main problem with the stanley shave is vibration and chatter.

Looking forward to more glo err, info about the tools you use on the chairs. Can't wait to see pictures of second chair finished too.

soooooooooooooooo........... will someone please explain to me why I've jus gone an bought a M-F cigar shave along with a woodie shave when I already have a Boggs...?

<guessin it's the time of year when the blonde roots start showin...

Chris - that is some collection of spoke shaves! I was planning to pick up the LV LA one at the Yandles show - I only really want to get one - it won't get that much use. I thought the LA one would be a good "jack of all trades"? Is it really that bad?
Cheers
Gidon

Gidon
It is a slightly awkward one, to be sure.
I really recommend the Veritas straight shave-a real delight!
Cheers

Thanks Philly - it is between those two. I'll see if I can check them out at Yandles.

Alf - great review - it seems to get mixed feedback this one. I like the price (!) and the fact that it's versatile. So is my block plane - but it doesn't quite get in those tight corners :). And the drill press drum sander creates a lotta' dust!

Cheers

Gidon

gidon":35olp4pr said:
And the drill press drum sander creates a lotta' dust!
Ah, drum sander, drill press and desire for a cheap spokeshave... How about the kit...? <push, push, shove, shove> :wink:

Drum sander dust extraction though; what d'you do at the moment? Hmm, maybe we should discuss this elsewhere though. Don't want to frighten any grazing galoots into a stampede. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":exl8grvw said:
Ah, drum sander, drill press and desire for a cheap spokeshave... How about the kit...? <push, push, shove, shove>

Sorry I don't follow :-k.

Alf":exl8grvw said:
Drum sander dust extraction though; what d'you do at the moment?

Dust mask ;). I have tried positioning my shop vac - but it never stays and I haven't bothered to make anything to hold it. When it's in the right position it collects most of the dust pretty well. Oh and the overhead air filter goes on if I remember and can put up with the additional noise.

Cheers

Gidon

gidon":htw3z99d said:
Alf":htw3z99d said:
Ah, drum sander, drill press and desire for a cheap spokeshave... How about the kit...? <push, push, shove, shove>
Sorry I don't follow :-k.
Tsk, parenthood's really taking its toll, isn't it? Making a Veritas wooden spokeshave kit. :wink:

gidon":htw3z99d said:
Alf":htw3z99d said:
Drum sander dust extraction though; what d'you do at the moment?
Dust mask ;). I have tried positioning my shop vac - but it never stays and I haven't bothered to make anything to hold it. When it's in the right position it collects most of the dust pretty well. Oh and the overhead air filter goes on if I remember and can put up with the additional noise.
Ah, can I recommend some form of box with a hole in the top the same diameter as the drum sander and a hole in the side for the workshop vac? Works really, really well, in my experience.

Cheers, Alf

Wow - that is some post. One of the many I missed on Papa leave :). Lovely job - and very well written. I don't see myself having the skill or patience for it myself unfortunately but am going to have another read later ...

Nice idea on the dust extraction - may have to give that a go. Are you wanting me to never finish that blasted front door? And I wanted to enter the comp. I don't know.

Cheers

Gidon

Back