Spokeshave

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulc

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to buy a spokeshave for making curved edges on boards and have seen this ad for a cheap stanley on axminster "Made from fine grey iron with epoxy black finish. The 54mm(2.1/8") cutter has full lateral and vertical adjustment. Available with either flat or round base for convex or concave work. " Do I need to buy both models or which is better for most purposes ? Is the flat base one for rounding edges ? Any info appreciated cheers.

The rounded sole one is for cutting concave curves-as the curve gets tighter a flat bottom ones stops cutting as the sole holds it off the work.
So it depends how tight a curve you are cutting-for regular chamfers and light curves a flat soled one is better (and easier to control!!)
Cheers
Philly :D

have seen this ad for a cheap stanley

...bought one and for a long time thought how difficult it is to use a spokeshave without years of practice...until I got these which work properly (available direct or from here).

(Just my two-penneth)

cheers

Ike

Ike
Agree with you there-they are really nice shaves for the money!
I have the straight one-its a beaut :wink:
Cheers
Philly :D

Back