Spokeshave (help)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Thought I'd have a go at using the Vetitas spokeshave that arrived last week.

Got the instructions out for the set up and duly played around until I'd got it as the instruction say. Me now thinking I'll shave some wood for my ongoing project, then came the problem.

As I danced across the wood at only a slight angle (not wanting to take too much off on this trial) and blow me if the blade didn't come out at the back. First thoughts were that I hadn't tightened it up enough, they do say you shouldn't tighten too much.

Continued to try and use it, even tightened up the blade as hard as I could using hand power, but the same problem arose.

After visiting HID's with finger dripping with blood I decided to give up.

Has anyone else had this same problem, or is it me doing it all wrong again?

Waka

Waka,

It's the low angle one you have, isn't it? Can't say I've had that happen, or heard of it from anyone else either. :? You've, er, got the blade in the right way up I s'pose? :oops: (I know, I know, but it's usually just as well to ask, although now I come to think of it I'm not sure you can put it in wrong). Definitely one for Rob.

Cheers, Alf

Waka,
I have the same spokeshave, and run across the same problem when using it on hard maple. The depth of cut has a lot to do with it, I set it slightly lighter on one side of the mouth and then move the shave side to side to maintain a constant shaving when working compound curves. (I'm probably not explaining this well, but try it, it seems to help :? ). When you take a big shaving try widening the mouth, that can help with the blade falling out. I don't know exactly how I solved the problem with mine, trying these various things seemed to solve it though.
Cheers,
Philly :D

Sorry for the delay in posting reply.

Alf, the blade only goes in one way.

Rob, it is the low angle spokeshave. What I have found because of the alignment with the throat adjustment the blade is set back to the end in the holding bolts.

I tried with various angles as stated in the instruction and wasn't really comfortable with it, and it didn't take a lot of force for the blade to start moving.

Philly, glad I'm not the only one who has experienced this, thought I was doing something wrong. I was going with the grain on AW Oak. I know that you have resolved it with trail and error, but I'm sure this shouldn't be happening.

Hope Rob can come back with an explanation.

Waka

Waka":2jy8uoyr said:
(snip)

Hope Rob can come back with an explanation.

Waka

Hi -

The first thing to check, is that you're not taking too heavy a cut, in too hard of a wood - if you find the shave hard to pull, then the cut is most likely too heavy -

The blade on the shave is held in place by friction between the blade and the bed of the shave, with some additional friction added from the tapered clamping screws. Firstly - ensure that the clamp screws move freely, and there is anything resticting movement (check this with the blade out, moving the screws up and down...

Second - ensure that the mating faces bewteen the blade and spokeshave body are free of oils/grease etc.

Finally - you can add a bit of "tooth" to the interface - by scuffing the mating surface of the blade, perpendicular to the "slip path", using a 60 or 80 grit emery paper.

Please let me know if this works for you!

Cheers -

Rob

Back