Spokeshave difference

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make your own spokeshave , have a look at Paul Sellers video

They are pretty easy to make , so make both a curved and a straight one. then make your hammer handle using your homemade tools.

For what it is worth, I was given a brand new Stanley spokeshave. Complete rubbish, just couldn't get it to work no-matter how I set the blade. Bought an old 151 flat bottomed and an equivalent round bottom (cant remember the number) and both work very well. Since then I have bought and fettled a number of old Stanleys for woodworking friends. All work well. I'd really like to try the Clifton but they are a bit pricey. Personally I find the wooden ones a bit hard to set up but that is just my lack of experience with them. So, the moral of the story, stay away from new cheap stuff IMHO.
Cheers
Richard

For what it is worth, I was given a brand new Stanley spokeshave. Complete rubbish, just couldn't get it to work no-matter how I set the blade. Bought an old 151 flat bottomed and an equivalent round bottom (cant remember the number) and both work very well. Since then I have bought and fettled a number of old Stanleys for woodworking friends. All work well. I'd really like to try the Clifton but they are a bit pricey. Personally I find the wooden ones a bit hard to set up but that is just my lack of experience with them. So, the moral of the story, stay away from new cheap stuff IMHO.
Cheers
Richard
One reason old ones often seem to work better is that they are "run in" and earlier owners may have fiddled about with adjustments.
I had an old pair of Record 0151 in newish condition and they both had the same fault - the cap iron wouldn't stay in place during blade adjustments. They needed a bit more countersink in the bolt hole, 1 minutes work and now work perfectly.

I have wooden spokeshaves and really enjoy using them. The secret to have them set up is to have the blade set at different heights at each end. This allows you to position the shave so that you can take a deeper cut if needed without adjusting the blade. I have them going from left to right the blade set at around 1mm and and 0,2mm. If I remember will put a pic up later when I get to the workshop.

I have wooden spokeshaves and really enjoy using them. The secret to have them set up is to have the blade set at different heights at each end. This allows you to position the shave so that you can take a deeper cut if needed without adjusting the blade. I have them going from left to right the blade set at around 1mm and and 0,2mm. If I remember will put a pic up later when I get to the workshop.
You can do the same with a steel one!

No need to be so emphatic @Jacob, I didn't say you couldn't. Having never had or used a steel one and as can clearly be seen from my statement; I was talking only about wooden ones.

I like the wooden ones too but the steel ones are much easier to use. C'est la vie!

I quite fancy the low angle veritas spokeshave, mainly because it's similar to the wooden ones but with all metal parts, has anyone used it? and compared to a traditional 151

I picked up 2 new Stanley 151s recently, flat and curved bottom and after a lot of fettling I managed to get them to work ok. There is no comparison with the older models (I have an old Marples 151 and another US made Stanley for comparison). The bed and cap needed lots of filing work and the mouths are very large but they are fine for what I need. The new Stanley replacement blades seem to be decent, once the lacquer coating is removed.

I picked up 2 new Stanley 151s recently, flat and curved bottom and after a lot of fettling I managed to get them to work ok. There is no comparison with the older models (I have an old Marples 151 and another US made Stanley for comparison). The bed and cap needed lots of filing work and the mouths are very large but they are fine for what I need. The new Stanley replacement blades seem to be decent, once the lacquer coating is removed.
Yes, that is what I remember, except that for all I tried I just couldn't stop mine from chattering - even packed the blade to reduce the mouth. In the end gave up and use my old ones which work a treat. I'm not often beaten by a tool and usually get them to work, this new Stanley spokeshave was the exception.

yeah they don't exactly make it sound good do they, I might get the hock kit and make a wooden one.
I have the Veritas low angle spokeshave and I find it to be an excellent tool. My guess is that the author of the review was trying to hog off material rather than just take shavings—this tool isn’t designed for hogging off massive amounts of wood in a single pass, but rather for taking fine shavings. It’s particularly good for end grain.
If I want to take massive shavings, I’ll use a drawknife rather than a spokeshave.

I meant normal spokeshaves do fine work and also coarser work which the Veritas does not, apparently.
I haven’t attempted to roughen the mounting surfaces of the blade much. Maybe it would be suitable for coarse work if I did, but as it stands I have other tools for that and my Veritas low angle spokeshave works quite well for the fine work.

Back