Spokeshave difference

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgrbff

Established Member
Reaction score
I have never used a spokeshave but I want to make myself a hammer handle.
What is the difference between a flat bottom and curved bottom spokeshave?

Unless you want to be picky Screwfix sell both types for £16 or £19 pounds (no postage as you can collect) either will sort out the makings for a hammer handle.

The flat one can do outside of curves too.

Torn between wood version, as used in chairmaking, or metal like a Veritas.
What width blade minimum useful if you only want to buy one?

Torn between wood version, as used in chairmaking, or metal like a Veritas.
What width blade minimum useful if you only want to buy one?
Old Record spokeshaves 151 are always good IMHO. New ones probably are but never tried one.

The trouble is if I buy a cheap one I won't know if it's me or the spokeshave stopping me get a decent finish.
It'll be you and the spokeshave! Might take time to get your hand in, whatever you paid.

Last edited:
Observations
A wooden one needs a little more care in setting up, a metal one is just wind the adjusters
A Veritas depending on model is towards £100 or so at Axminister's shop
I think the size of the blade is pretty standard not seen a smaller size for general use
This could be an expensive hammer handle
Another solution is buy one ready made (and avoids selecting a suitable piece of wood) costing say £5 or £10, and then modify the shape with your new Spokeshave to suit your needs

I much prefer the wooden versions as I feel the bade angle is much better and they just feel nicer in the hand. Problems are they are a bit more awkward to adjust, more difficult to sharpen and you have to take care of them in use as the sole is wooden
See also this thread
spokeshave
Which includes a couple of wooden ones I made
You can pick up used wooden spokeshaves for around £10

Observations
A wooden one needs a little more care in setting up, a metal one is just wind the adjusters
A Veritas depending on model is towards £100 or so at Axminister's shop
I think the size of the blade is pretty standard not seen a smaller size for general use
This could be an expensive hammer handle
Another solution is buy one ready made (and avoids selecting a suitable piece of wood) costing say £5 or £10, and then modify the shape with your new Spokeshave to suit your needs
It's a genno or Japanese hammer which would retail somewhere between £100-£200 so it's worth the effort. I have some old ones too which I'd like to make handles for. I like to buy the best I can afford so that I know it will last and I hopefully won't want or need to upgrade in thr future-

I much prefer the wooden versions as I feel the bade angle is much better and they just feel nicer in the hand. Problems are they are a bit more awkward to adjust, more difficult to sharpen and you have to take care of them in use as the sole is wooden
See also this thread
spokeshave
Which includes a couple of wooden ones I made
You can pick up used wooden spokeshaves for around £10
I have bought a user Rapier, I'll see how it goes.

I have bought a user Rapier, I'll see how it goes.
Good luck. If it's a curved base one, they're trickier to use. I'd have recommended a flat base spokeshave to learn on. DAMHIKT. Flat base spokeshaves can do gentle inside curves such as found on wooden hammer handles.

My (flat base) spokeshave is my daughter's favourite tool in my workshop. She loves shaping things out of wood.

Cheers, Vann.

What sort of wood will you be using? btw just noticed you are in Italy so my Screwfix comment doesn't apply unless they are outside the UK as well.

I'm trying to find some Osage orange. It's a fairly common ornamental in Northern Italy. I have also cut some Persimmon branches which are drying.

Good luck. If it's a curved base one, they're trickier to use. I'd have recommended a flat base spokeshave to learn on. DAMHIKT. Flat base spokeshaves can do gentle inside curves such as found on wooden hammer handles.

My (flat base) spokeshave is my daughter's favourite tool in my workshop. She loves shaping things out of wood.

Cheers, Vann.
I think it's probably curved looking at ebay pictures.

I have three spokeshaves and use the curved sole one almost exclusively. Admittedly my projects are small in size but what I like about the curved sole is that the depth of cut is infinitely variable with just a small flick of the wrist.

Back