Spokeshave difference

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven’t attempted to roughen the mounting surfaces of the blade much. Maybe it would be suitable for coarse work if I did, but as it stands I have other tools for that and my Veritas low angle spokeshave works quite well for the fine work.
It occurs to me that it also depends on one’s definition of “rough work” and one’s criteria for speed. This took just under one minute with the Veritas low-angle spokeshave—dry “red oak” (exact species unknown, air dried indoors 5+ years, about 35mm thickness). More end-grain work than long grain, where the tool won’t take the same thickness shavings as for long grain. Yes, it’s not quite symmetrical; it was a quick freehand with no layout lines.
This constitutes just about the thickest shavings I’m willing to cut with this spokeshave in this particular wood. Again, if I were inclined to roughen the mounting surfaces more I might be able to take thicker shavings.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 0
Back