Split?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
I just first turned a piece of green apple:
_MG_8506.jpg

Looks like it might end up a nice bowl once the base is turned narrower, but there was a split at the rim. I turned the split it back a fair way but still have what looks like a line of weakness:
View attachment _MG_8508.jpg
Should I wait to see if it cracks and then put CA glue on it, or should I put glue on it straight away? It's still quite wet.

Attachments

• _MG_8506.jpg
    _MG_8506.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 452
  • _MG_8508.jpg
    969.4 KB · Views: 382
Oh man, you need your eyes tested, even I can see that woods not green :shock: :shock: :shock: (hammer) :D

phil.p":34iv7s9q said:
If it's still quite wet it will probably continue to crack whether it's glued or not.

That's what I wondered, but I bought some glue anyway so I'll put some on in case it soaks in and makes a difference.

As an aside, I found a large lump of eucalyptus a couple of days ago and decided to first turn it today. It had been lying around a year or more (not quite so green this time, sunnybob) so had started to dry somewhat - what a nightmare! I had no idea how hard it is, the gouge really didn't want to touch it, took every opportunity to judder and bounce, and the inside took ages to hollow. It's about 12" diameter now, but the blank was a fair bit bigger and had a chainsaw cut about an inch in from the rim so that had to be turned out, too.
_MG_8513.jpg

It has plenty of cracks too, so the CA glue's at the ready. Apparently eucalyptus like to move a lot?

Attachments

• _MG_8510.jpg
    _MG_8510.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 262
  • _MG_8513.jpg
    _MG_8513.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 354
Back