Split turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Folks,

Our milkman took pity on us, and has donated a "pre-owned" milk bottle holder to use instead of a bucket. Sort of an early Xmas pressie, because presumably he reckons we couldn't afford to buy one ourselves. At least, not with the price he's charging for the milk... Anyway, it's one of those wire jobbies, and the handle hurts like hell. So I thought I'd turn a handle to go over the wire, but it'll have to be split as I can't pull the thing apart in order to fit it.

So the question (at last) is do I split the blank, glue it back together with paper at the join and then turn it? And one piece of paper? Or one on each half of the blank? Or turn it and try and spilt it afterwards? I assume the former, but how do I make sure drilling the central hole doesn't cause the blank to split while I'm still turning it? Or am I worrying too much? Any thoughts, tips or I-did-it-this-ways will be gratefully received because the blood supply getting cut off one's fingers every morning just ain't fun... :D

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf,

Without knowing what lathe tools you have it's hard to give an opinion on drilling the centre of your handle.

With regard to turning the handle, the following way may not be the correct way, but it works well for me. In the past I have glued two blocks together after first gluing paper to both inner faces (easier to split afterwards) mounted the glued block between centres, turned to shape and then drilled centrally through the hollow tailstock.

Hope you manage it, there's nothing worse than something cutting into the fingers, that's my excuse to get out of helping with the shopping.

CC

I must remember to sign in before posting replies, most of my replies on this site seem to be under the Guest banner.

Hi Alf,

Without knowing what lathe tools you have it's hard to give an opinion on drilling the centre of your handle.

With regard to turning the handle, the following way may not be the correct way, but it works well for me. In the past I have glued two blocks together after first gluing paper to both inner faces (easier to split afterwards) mounted the glued block between centres, turned to shape and then drilled centrally through the hollow tailstock.

Hope you manage it, there's nothing worse than something cutting into the fingers, that's my excuse to get out of helping with the shopping.

CC

Thanks, CC. I'll have a try and see how it goes. Unfortunately the Tuit has gone missing over the festive season :( If/when (ha, who am I kidding) I get round to it I'll let you know.

Cheers, Alf

I know you're all agog to know :p ; I finally got round to doing the handle. After many false starts, I eventually glued the two halves with paper between, drilled the hole through the middle and then held it on a coach bolt "mandrel" held in the drill chuck. It's probably the worst turning I've ever done, and that's saying something, but it'll do the job. It popped apart before I'd really finished, so I obviously haven't got the technique quite right just yet. Now I have to wait with bated breath and see how long it lasts...

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf,

Congratulations, it shouldn't be long now before you're turning the split columns that are used to decorate longcase clocks.

Not to sure about the "coach bolt mandrel" though. :shock:

CC

CC,

I think I'm quite a way off long case clock standard yet!

As for the mandrel, well I did cut the head off the bolt first :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Back