"Splain" me this

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlimShavings

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Stanley 26' / 8meter tape. The Metric side is all CM. But nobody ever talks CM. But I'm right in thinking that there are 10 mm per CM . And each one of them little black lines is a MM. :lol: :lol: :lol:
HOw come nobody ever says CM. :lol: :lol:

I often use cm / mm notation often when making note on my production drawings, such as 70 33, where the 33 would be superscripted.

Usually I just stick to full mm, though.

More fun is when I use all three: cm / mm, mm, inch on the same drawing.

Mike
the never consistent one

Yeah Slim, 10mm make one centimetre (cm). In engineering mm or metres are used. The ISU unit of length is the metre(The metre is the basic unit of length in the International System of Units. It is defined as the length of the path traveled by light in an absolute vacuum during a time interval of exactly 1/299,792,458 of a second. It is equal to 10000/254 inches, approximately 39.37 inches. The symbol of the metre is m. Metre is also spelled meter in American English) and only multiples/divisions of 1000 should be used. But just to confuse things kids are taught using cm in school and they are also generally used in non engineering circles. So generally people with an engineering or scientific background will use mm/m/km.

Hope to confuse

John

funny, when I started woodworking I measured everything in CM's... When I started ordering wood, etc got some funny questions when asking for 244x144... "Bit small innit mate?" :oops: :roll:

johnboy i am soooooooooo confused now i will have to take some dfps and lie down in a very dark room. :?

Hi

It's probably because the SI unit of length is the metre and when we sub-divide anything (or multiply it) in the SI world, it is by a factor of 1000 which givs us the standard prefixes; centi is the odd one out and so usually not used in science

eg
peta (*1000000000000000)
tera (*1000000000000)
giga (*1000000000)
Mega (*1000000)
Kilo (*1000)
m
Milli (/1000)
Micro (/1000000)
Nano (/1000000000)
Pico (/1000000000000)
Femto (/1000000000000000)

Tony,

Why did you let that cat out of the bag? Over in the Hand tools section they will be scrabbling to measure shavings in Femtometers now, thou is just such a crude measurement by comparison :p

Les

Les Mahon":1x8o347f said:
Over in the Hand tools section they will be scrabbling to measure shavings in Femtometers now, thou is just such a crude measurement by comparison :p
If I understood what Tony'd written, I'd probably resemble that remark. :p :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back