Spitting feathers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Precisely. I know of a certain system being introduced that produces documents that, to the custodians of law and order, will be treated to all intents and purposes as proving the legit identity of the person whose picture is on it.

How do they get the picture? Why, they simply write and ask 'please can you send us a recent photograph of you). No validation, no checks. Heh. Osama...quick send us your holiday snap and I'll get you a XYZ document calling you John Smith. You can go anywhere wiv it. No problem.

Bit like the Chip & Pin nonsense that is now being introduced.
In a queue at the check out. Person in front of me hands over credit card, start to enter PIN number in full view, 4 digits, not hard to remember. Follow the person out the door, mug/bag snatch/whatever. Couple of grand spending spree.......No messing about with signatures. Maybe I'm missing something but it doesn't really seem like a security improvement to me?

Noel

Waka":3ist1nda said:
GillD":3ist1nda said:
a weak Prime Minister

Don't we alrerady have one?

Why do I need an ID card, I already know who I am.

I wasn't going to be so bold as to make that suggestion about Tony Blair, but since the point's been raised... ;) :) .

I certainly don't understand what has already happened to this country that makes ID cards imperative. The government needs to explain exactly how they will enhance our security. What will ID cards enable the authorities to do on our behalf that they cannot do now? Simply claiming that they're acting on the advice of the police and security services is not sufficient.

Gill

Well Gill..did you see the three part excellent mini-series that the BBC did recently. The precis version is that Government used to sell us Hope. Tory/Labour/Republic/Democrat. But we all have become a bit more cynical and realise that that is a CoS.

So 9/11 suddenly turned out to be the answer to their prayers...a big bogeyman that they could invent and so now justify their actions. Let's come up with a name for this incredibly well organised, well funded secret terrorist organisation...call it Al Queda.

In reality as the program and much well documented other research has proved there IS NO Al Queda per se.

True..there are nutters out there but they are not members of some major conspiracy.

Chip and PIN is for the BANKSs and credit cards benefit. No-one elses. Prior to C&P they picked up the tab for fraud. Now it is the retailer.

Also now you since if they nick your card and PIN and you are unaware this has happened then they toddle off to the hole in the wall. Guess who picks up the tab on that? You do.

I have never ever withdrawn cash with my credit card and don''t want to. I asked whether the facility could be barred on my card. No - was the answer.

Recent Cambridge University paper showed that a crooked bank employee can get your PIN with 10 guesses...not the 5000 guesses that the banks would have you believe (Oh...our system is wonderfully secure". But Mr Sinden, our systems never fail. It must have been you who withdrew that £3000 from your credit card yesterday.

Fallacy Number One.. It is not the LAW that says you have to use C&P

Fallacy Number Two...a little known fact but you can send it back and ask for one with a signature. Just say you have difficulty remembering numbers. The bank will try and frighten you off by saying that the shops might then ask for additional ID (hey, well we're getting that aren't we!)

They're all out to get me. They're coming to take me away, ha ha, hee hee

I think that the point about why we need an ID card is well made. And that is a fact.

Charles Kennedy did his usual 2 questions at PMQ's yesterday, and he was on this topic. He may well get my vote because of his stance on ID cards - I can't actually separate Labour and the Tories any more, they might as well join forces and have done with it.

As Kennedy said, all very well forcing people to have an ID card. But exactly how does this help the doddery old pensioner who never goes anywhere? She will be forced to spend money which she can ill afford buying an ID card to prove that she stays indoors 99% of the time.

I have no objection to the likes of driving licenses and passports carrying this information, and I confirm I have nothing to hide. But I do actually have a choice about a driving license and passport.

Their next bright idea will be that you will have a bar code tattooed on your arm for identification purposes. Not long after that you may see some large buildings being erected which have a gas supply and a large chimney....

Andrew

Too much paranoia clearly on display in this thread for me

worrying about chip and pin versus signature???? :shock:

I have better things to do with my mind and my time :lol:

Mcluma":1e524dgf said:
Well I take it then Tony, you don't know your pin number by hart

I find 4 digit numbers are not too hard. Why, I even remember by 8 digit birthday :shock: :shock: :wink:

Digressing ever so slightly...well, it was me thread to begin with :)

Tony, many thanks for the Porter profile sander recommendation that i picked up on elsewhere. Just got one from ITS £51.89 all in. Beautiful to use and pleased that I won't be suffering from vibration hand anymore!

One question...cheap source for the sanding paper thingumies?

Roger

Tony!!

Yes its ok when you have only one creditcard, but what if the misses has an habit of having more then one, and like to switch the balance arround, then you have to learn a whole lot more numbers

Back