Spitfires.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bit of a typo on your header- would be nice to find them especially if they are in a salvageable condition?

Rod

Bit of a typo on your header

:lol: :lol: Anyone know how to correct my mistake?

It would be nice, I know of a case where the Americans buldozed 14 Me 262s into a trench after the war as well.
crying-022.gif

Roy.

I'll be very surprised if various TV companies are not knocking on his door about now, even if most have rotted away there's still a story to be told.

Roy.

Is it wise to 'flood' the market with Spits?
Is this going to upset the owners of the few that are in flying condition at the moment?
Has this guy even thought about that? And can he trust the Government not to lay claim to them, as they promised?

When did this story break? Around April 1st?
They'll be finding Eldorado next! 8) 8) 8)

I think they'll find ready buyers John, the price will doubtless be more than we can afford, and no it's not a joke. As the value/price has risen many areas of the world are being scoured for WW2 Warbirds.
The main difficulty with restoring a Spit is the wing main spar, it's made from several tapered box sections fitted inside each other, like a leaf spring, much of the rest is straight forward. Merlin engines, if they were Merlin powered, are obtainable and there is a least one company in the states that rebuilds the Packard version.
If 50% of a Spitfire is salvagable the builders will bring out the Champers!

Roy.

Where I lived, during WWII, we had a large garden, backing onto open fields; not a million miles from Castle Bromwich. I still have vague recollections of Spits 'buzzing' us, zooming low across the landscape. Presumably flying from the factory and no doubt piloted by the Ladies of the ATA. Still get goose-pimples whenever Is see or hear a Spit flying; even if it's just a TV programme! The last close up I had was one of them flying across our 'patch', towards Cosford a few years ago. Bit of a thrill that was. :)

John There was a programme over on the History Channel based on the chief test pilot (whose name escapes me) and I think a lot of that covered time at CB.

I'm saving up my pennies as there is a second two-seater being refurbished...I would die a very happy man given the chance to fly in one of the two-seaters.

Next time I take one up, I'll give you a bell....bell.... bell.....

Oh darn. It is a bell... It's the alarm clock!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

RogerS":789wpzxm said:
John There was a programme over on the History Channel based on the chief test pilot (whose name escapes me) and I think a lot of that covered time at CB.

I'm saving up my pennies as there is a second two-seater being refurbished...I would die a very happy man given the chance to fly in one of the two-seaters.

Thanks Roger,

History Channel. That would be Sky?

If so, not got I fear, but I think I saw this programme on the Beeb or The 'other side'!
I'll trawl the net., One never knows! :D

(Now my spell checker isn't workign!!!)

Benchwayze":28l84mtk said:
RogerS":28l84mtk said:

Thanks Roger,

History Channel. That would be Sky?

If so, not got I fear, but I think I saw this programme on the Beeb or The 'other side'!
I'll trawl the net., One never knows! :D

(Now my spell checker isn't workign!!!)

I got it off the net

Back