Spiral Upcut Router Bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope the moderators don’t delete my post for being ‘political’ this forum is becoming very woke IMO unfortunately.

Careful, we dont want you 'cancelled'! I quite like the rebuild threads 😆

Thanks for all your help guys, as usual it’s very informative.

Think I’ll take a look at the Wealden bits.

Another option is Trend. They have 1/4 or 1/2 inch or 8mm shaft spiral up or down cutters.

Request a catalogue from a stockists like Miles Tool & Machinery - very helpful staff.

I hope the moderators don’t delete my post for being ‘political’ this forum is becoming very woke IMO unfortunately.
Not sure I've seen anything really political there.

However there is nothing unfortunate in being aware of social injustice, racial prejudice and discrimination across all people. Unless of course you are using the term woke in the same perjorative way that tangerine trump did.

You need to be a little careful buying these, as a lot of spiral bits are metric shanks, rather than imperial. Buying a metric bit / imperial shank isn't always straightforward, and they can be on the short side as they're often intended more for CNC applications than hand held routers. Wealden tool do them, though if you want a longer length you need to go to an 8mm shank.
aggressive / enthusiastic, and not bothering with dust extraction as they were really keen to get started.

Tks for the heads up Peter. 1/4 vs 8mm - are modern routers built for this range? <2mm... I'd always thought router collets were v.tight, or should we buy a separate collet?

Edit See Makita, seems two collets. I guess I've been lucky

Last edited:
Yes, fits both apparently. Ive ordered a set, so will confirm makita fit when they arrive

Mis-titled then? Upcut? Surely that should clear shavings upwards? Or is it simply getting caught up in the router base?
The spirals go up and do pull material up but slso throws out sideways. In my case the expelled material oacked into the edges when the guide bush got to the end of the jig slot so needs extraction. The upcut bit is partly about material ejection, but also the actual cutting action for when you are machining.... so you can decide on upcut so the bottom surface is best, downcut so the top face is best, or ( i think its ) compacting, which does both up and down, so you get good cuts on both faces of sheet material

The bits that give both cuts are called "compression bits", if you want to search for them. They are more expensive by quite a bit but give t he best results when a clean edge is needed on both sides of a board. They are a fairly specialized bit of kit but are becoming more available at a reasonable price on places such as Banggood and Aliexpress.

Collets are machined to a precise measurement, 6mm and 1/4 (6.35mm) are not interchangable so check the sizes and get the right collets.
Neither are 1/2" and 12 mm, but the 12 mm will be fine in a 1/2" collet if you use a 1/2" K&S round brass tube, and cut a split in it. The split is so that the 12 mm bit will fit inside, and the collet can be tightened properly. The brass tubes are available from model hobby stores.

Back