Spiral up cutters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

OK you lot, where do I get some spiral up-cut router cutters for low cost? Once above 6.35mm, the prices seem to rocket to £50+ per cutter.

I want 10mm and 1/2" cutters on a 1/2" shank. Also, an 8mm upcut on an 8mm shank

Tony,
Cheap spiral router cutters = oxymoron

If you are not particular about carbide, try engineering milling bits in second hand places. you can often pick these things up for a couple of quid and half inch is a pretty common size.

I use engineering milling cutters for HSS upcut bits.
I only have a 1/4" router so use either 1/4" 2 flute slot drills or 3 flute end mills.
Most end mills and slot drills have a screw thread on the shanks for holding in tool holder but I used to work in an industry that used straight shank cutters held in collets the same as routers so use the ones I still had in my tool box.
Although not intended for routers I have never had any problems with them.
I use the 1/4" milling cutters in a table when making the slots in bread board edges.
These cutters were made by a regrinding company in Tewkesbury for the aluminium extrusion die trade which has many die making shops in the county.
1/4", 8mm & 1/2" with the same size shank are stock sizes although a 10mm by 1/2" shank would have to be made to order.
I doubt if the company would deal in mail order as they are a local concern.
As milling cutters are intended for cutting steel the cutters run at much lower speeds than used in a router so would not be balanced.

The Trend window ones and slot/end mills are all HSS but the ones from Wealden and the like are solid carbide, thats why the cost goes up. Its also the reason they say to use in CNC or overhead machines as they are easier to snap, but a table mounted router should be OK.

Jason

jasonB":m9vie1fl said:
The Trend window ones and slot/end mills are all HSS...they are easier to snap, but a table mounted router should be OK.
Ahh, that'll be why they're mentioned amongst 'Ratters then.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3h6n3c44 said:
jasonB":3h6n3c44 said:
The Trend window ones and slot/end mills are all HSS...they are easier to snap, but a table mounted router should be OK.
Ahh, that'll be why they're mentioned amongst 'Ratters then.

Cheers, Alf

I think your editing of the quote may be in error Alf. No doubt jasonB will clarify.
In my experience Solid carbide cutters are the more fragile, carbide is hard but brittle. (prefers constant cutting load to an interupted one)

HSS milling cutters usually take a lot of abuse, I have a few "Clarkson" pattern (threaded shanks) that have been abused in routers, pillar drills, hand held drills etc. for 30+years and are still in one piece.

CHJ":2c1xdmx2 said:
I think your editing of the quote may be in error Alf. No doubt jasonB will clarify.
Ach, reading it again I believe you may be absolutely right, Chas. :oops: In which case I rush a two-fold defence in to save my blushes. Firstly, the only router cutter I've ever had break on me was an HSS one, not solid carbide, so the link is fixed in my mind. If it hadn't been on the 'Rat it night have been nasty. And secondly what's wrong with HSS anyway? (apart from what happened to me, which was probably a one-off and just a glitch, so don't start, okay? :wink: ) It's really not that bad, unless you're using endless man-made materials or really evil woods.

Now having saved face in my own mind I retire until someone wants to know about router cutters for a #71... :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2z43zyj2 said:
Now having saved face in my own mind I retire until someone wants to know about router cutters for a #71... :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf
And? Go on. Do we have something to report about the forthcoming LV ones?

Tony":3346ofit said:
Thanks Pete - cheapest so far

Unless you include the 1/2 solid carbide one for £21 or the £7.50 HSS one from lee valley as posted earlier! :roll:

Even allowing for up to 100% duty (unlikely) they are still cheaper.

Cheers

Tim

The spot weld remover only has a cutting edge on the tip not the sides, it would be like using a twist drill in a router :shock:

Jason

Latest posts

Back