Spiral Ducting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bear

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a couple of questions about this.

Do the male and female connectors have specific uses? I did read in one place that one was for connecting the actual pipes together and one was for connecting the bends t pieces etc. Is this right?

What is the best way to cut it and clean up the cut edges?

There are a few sellers of this stuff on ebay. Anyone got any recommendations on who to use/not to use?

Is 100mm ducting from one supplier going to be interchangable with that from another. Ie is there much variance in the nominal sizes? Seems some sellers are cheap on the ducting but not the connectors or vice versa so might be best to use different suppliers

Cheers

Mark

The metal ducting is standard across all brands but expect a mm tolerance. The bends go directly into the pipe you don't need a connector, they are the connector between pipe effectively.

I used a jigsaw with a saw blade for metal using the variable speed control. Cuts very well and then a fine file to finish off.

You need an internal fitting connector to join the lengths of pipe together but as mentioned above the bends just push in. I used silver duct tape to seal the joints.

I used saddle joints to form any off shoots I needed as these are much better than T's or elbows and used clear silicone sealant to set them.

Sorry I forgot to say how I cut. I use a multi master with the circular blade for metal. Didn't bother with a file. I then used galva mate sealant around and in the joints. Pot riveted them together then finished with foil ducting tape. Do not take axminsters advice (if there still advising to do so) and use gaffa/duct tape. It drys up and falls off.

I used Y junctions instead of T's as like above Y creates a better flow then T.

So it sounds like I need male connectors to join lengths together? What are the female connectors for then?

Mark

For joining two male ends together like an elbow to an elbow. Personally I just cut some of the pipe to do the same job.

Yes male to male for joining two straight pipes together.

I did mine over 4 years ago now and the silver duct tape is still intact and still giving an airtight seal.

I used a file just to smooth the inside of the pipe after I cut it just in case of any small burrs or chards.

From memory the female connectors are for the various special ventilation & heating fittings etc.

I use a 5" grinder to cut that stuff, flies round in seconds, use one of the ultra thin cutting discs.

Back